ADHD is marked by a combination of significant difficulties in: maintaining concentration, focusing on relevant stimuli, paying attention to details, high distractibility, organizational difficulties; forgetfulness and objects loss, etc.
Some children who have ADHD also show characteristics of impulsivity and hyperactivity, such as restlessness, the need to move around, difficulty waiting in line and talking without thinking.
Currently, ADHD is considered to be among the most common disorders, and it is diagnosed by specialists including neurologists, pediatricians, and child and youth psychiatrists who have been certified to diagnose ADHD.
The Healthcare System
Diagnosis and Paramedical Treatments
- The health plans cover ADHD diagnoses and treatment by a multidisciplinary team at child development facilities for children and teenagers up to age 18.
- Diagnoses for the purpose of placing the child into an educational framework, or for having the education framework make adjustments for the child are provided by the health funds for children aged 3 to 6, based on an agreement with the Ministry of Education.
- For more information see Evaluations in the Kupat Cholim for Children with ADD/ADHD
- Children up to age 6 are eligible for multidisciplinary treatment for ADHD. For more information see ADHD Treatment in the Kupat Cholim (Health Fund).
Disability and Pensions
- Children diagnosed with severe ADHD, that requires medications beyond Ritalin, and have been told that the child needs extra supervision, may be eligible for Disabled Child Benefit and Related Benefits. For more information see Disabled Child Benefit for Children with ADHD.
- Disability for Adults:
- Medical disability is determined as part of the General Disability Pension application process. For specific information see: Determining Disability for People with ADD/ADHD.
- Please note: There are various rights granted to those with a medical disability, even for people who are not entitled to a disability pension.
Tax Breaks for Parents
- Parents of a child with ADHD who learns in a special education framework are entitled to two annual income tax credit points from the Tax Authority. For more information, see: Income Tax Credit Points for a Child or Adult with Disabilities.
- Parents of a child with disabilities are entitled to be absent from work up to 18 days a year in order to provide individual assistance to their child, if that assistance requires an absence from work. For more information see Sick Days for a Parent to Care for Offspring with Disabilities
Matriculation Examination (Bagrut) Accommodations
- Students who have been diagnosed with with learning disabilities are entitled to take their matriculation examinations under modified conditions. For more information see: Matriculation Examination Accommodations for those with Learning Disabilities. Students from families with financial difficulties may receive funding for the diagnosis from the Ministry of Education.
Psychometric Testing Accommodations
- Students with learning disabilities may take the Psychometric Test under modified conditions if their request is approved. For more information see: Psychometric Testing Accommodations.
Post-Secondary School Accommodations
- Students with learning disabilities are entitled to accommodations in the admissions process for a post-secondary school education, as well as in their studies in post-secondary educational institutions. For more information, see: Accommodations for the Learning Disabled in Institutions of Post-Secondary Education.
- One who has been determined to have at least 20% disability, may be eligible for financial assistance during his/her studies.
- Those with learning disabilities may take the driving theory test orally. For more information, see: Theory Test Accommodations at the Ministry of Vehicle Licensing (Misrad HaRishui).
- Those with learning disabilities are entitled to special accommodations on the psycho-technical tests performed at IDF recruitment offices. For more information, see: IDF Recruitment Office Examination Accommodations.
- Those for whom a National Insurance Institute medical committee has defined at least 20% medical disability may be eligible for vocational rehabilitation including a rehabilitation allowance and an additional allowance for professional training or obtaining a degree . For more information, see: Vocational rehabilitation for those with learning disabilities.
Certification Examination Accommodations
- Lawyers: Those with a law degree who have completed their internship period and have a diagnosis indicating that they have a learning disability, may apply for special certification examination accommodations from the Israel Bar Association. For more information, see: Bar Association Examination Accommodations for People with Learning Disabilities.
- Accountants: Those with learning disabilities may apply for examination accommodations from the Board of Certified Public Accountants. For more information, see: Board of Certified Public Accountants Examination Accommodations.
- The Ministry of Health
- The Ministry of Education - Department of Learning Disabilities and Attention Disorders
- The National Insurance Institute
- The Israel Tax Authority
Laws & Regulations
- The Rights for Students with Learning Disabilities in Higher Education Law
- The Equal Rights for People with Disabilities Law
- Ministry of Health Director's circular 40/2010: Standards in ADHD Diagnosis in Children, Adolescents and Adults.
- Ministry of Education Director's circular, December 2003 - Testing Accommodations for Students with Internal and External Learning Disabilities: in Hebrew.
- Clalit website: ADD/ADHD
- Ministry of Education (Psychological Counseling Services) and B'Yahad: "Touching Through Armor" Program for schools to cope with students with ADHD]
- Wikipedia: Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder