It is forbidden to fire an employee who is absent from work because of quarantine required due to suspected coronavirus
- It is forbidden for an employer to require an employee who is quarantine to come work and it is also forbidden to allow him to come to the work place even if he is interested in going.
- Days that an employee misses because of a requirement to be in quarantine because of suspicion of coronavirus will be considered as Sick Days and therefore the employee is entitled to Sick Pay during the period he misses work due to quarantine. For additional information see Sick Days for Employees in Quarantine due to Coronavirus.
Who is Eligible?
- A salaried employee that is required by Ministry of Health guidelines to quarantine because of suspected coronavirus.
- Go to the designated Ministry of Health website for the Ministry of Health guidelines regarding who is required to quarantine.
How to Claim It?
- The employee must notify his employer and the Ministry of Health of his quarantine.
Notifying the Ministry of Health
- A person in quarantine must immediately report where he lives or where he will be in quarantine to the Ministry of Health. This can be reported in one of two ways:
- By calling *5400.
- By filled out an online form for those who returned abroad or an online form for those exposed to someone who returned on the Ministry of Health website.
- The employee must notify his employer of his quarantine and send the employer the following documents:
- A Certificate of Widespread Illness issued by the Ministry of Health (this is a general certificate for all employees)
- A Declaration of Absence which must include the following details:
- The employee's name
- The employee's ID number
- The period for which the employee can't come to work because of the quarantine
- The last day the employee was in an affected country, or the last day that the employee was exposed to someone with the virus
- Proof of the date that he left an affected country, so that he can receive Sick Pay.
- Instead of contacting your family doctor for a sick note, the employee should obtain a certificate of widespread illness from the Ministry of Health, sign a declaration of absence and attach proof of the day he left a country that requires quarantine upon return to Israel.
- The current text of the Certificate of Widespread Illness only refers to China but is applicable as a certificate of illness from the other countries as well.
Notifying the Employer
- The employee should notify his employer of his quarantine and period of quarantine as soon as possible.
Working from home during quarantine
- The employer and employee can agree between them that the employee will work from home during his quarantine period (and receive his salary instead of sick pay).
- According to the law the employer can not prevent an employee (who is not sick) from working from home as long as the employee has appropriate working conditions, it is work that can be done from home and it not an unrealistic demand from him.
- It is not clear however if an employer can require an employee to work from home during quarantine instead of using sick days.
- Family members of someone in quarantine are not able to use Sick Days to care for their family members because we are not talking about an illness of the other person. This applies specifically to someone whose spouse or children are in quarantine. They are only allowed to use sick days if their parents or spouse are completely dependent on them for everyday activities because of their illness.
- It is important to follow the Ministry of Health's publicized guidelines, including the rights to sick days and sick pay on the following websites:
|Government Agencies||Call Center||Expedited Services|
|The Ministry of Health||Kol HaBriut hotline *5400|
|Municipal Hotline (in most cases)||106|
|Home Front Command||Call Center for Civil (non-medical) Emergencies 104|
|Employment Services||9687*||Initial online report to the employment office|
|The National Insurance Institute||**6050||Unemployment pay claim online claim form|
|The Agency for Small and Mid-size Businesses||Maof businesses hotline *8794|
|SHAYAL (Guidance for Citizens)||118 (Unemployment, unpaid leave, consumerism etc.)||Contact through Facebook|
|The Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services||Social Services hotline 118|
|The Israel Tax Authority||
|The Population and Immigration Authority||National Information and Service hotline *3450||Online contact form on corona related topics for foreign workers/Palestinians|
|The Ministry of Education||*Hotline for Parents and Students|
|The Office for Social Equality||Senior Citizens center hotline *8840||Online contact for for the senior citizens center|
|The Authority for the Rights of Holocaust Survivors||Holocaust Survivors Services Center hotline *5105|
Laws and Regulations
- The Novel Coronavirus on the Ministry of Health's English website.
- Ministry of Health guidelines for those returning from China on the Ministry of Health's website.
- Guidelines for Home Quarantine - Coronavirus on the Ministry of Health's website.
- Coronavirus Information Page on the Ministry of Health's English website.
English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.