The Ministry of Education has set out unique testing rules for pupils who are senior Olim, with the desire of considering their needs and difficulties in their studies.
- According to the rules, the pupils will be entitled to relief in matriculation exams for a period of 10 years starting from the 1st of September after they emigrate to Israel (that is to say - 10 years from the start of their first study year after they emigrate to Israel.)
- Pupils of Ethiopian Extract will be entitled to relief for a period of 12 years starting from the 1st of September after they emigrate to Israel.
Who is Eligible?
- A senior oleh pupil (a pupil for whom one of the following two conditions prevail):
- An oleh pupil who started his studies in Israel before he turned 15 years old.
- An oleh pupil who started his studies in Israel before 10th grade (before entering high school).
Special examination conditions for a senior oleh
- First Foreign Language:
- A senior oleh can choose his mother tongue as a first foreign language and may be tested in it at levels 3-5 units.
- A senior oleh may not be examined in English in general and be eligible for a matriculation certificate if he has completed all his obligations for the matric certificate.
- NB: For admission into an institute of higher learning one usually needs to be examined in at least 4 English units. Examination in a mother tongue as a first foreign language (recognized for purposes of eligibility for matriculation) cannot serve as an alternative for being examined in English in order to comply with the threshold conditions for admission to tertiary studies.
- Dictionary use:
- A senior oleh may use a list of terms and/or a dictionary from his mother tongue into and from Hebrew in all subjects save for language knowledge as an oleh.
- In examinations in foreign languages, use of a dictionary will be permitted in accordance with the directives which are to be published in the circulars of the central supervisors.
- A senior oleh will be allowed use of an English to mother tongue dictionary when being examined in writing in English.
- Additional Time:
- A senior oleh will be given 15 minutes additional time for every hour of the examination in all matric exams.
- In the matric exam on the bible, a senior oleh will be given the possibility of using a translated bible.
- There is a possibility of reading the questions to the senior oleh in subjects with limited text (chemistry, physics and electronics).
- A senior pupil oleh who has learning disabilities which has had an adjusted exam paper approved for him by the district adjustments committee, may be examined under the adjusted exam paper.
How the Exam is Carried Out
- Below is a table detailing the various subjects and the possible forms of examination for a senior oleh:
|Subject||How the Exam is Carried Out|
|Compulsory subjects (except for English and mathematics)||Exam paper without extra points, ordinary exam paper + 10 extra points|
|English||Ordinary exam paper without extra points|
|Mathematics||Ordinary exam paper without extra points|
|Elective subjects with extensive text||Ordinary exam paper + 10 extra points|
|Elective subjects with sparse text||Ordinary exam paper without extra points (possibility of having the exam paper read out)|
- Ordinary exam paper - The exam paper is written in Hebrew and the pupil sitting the exam answers in Hebrew.
- Exam paper for an oleh - Exam paper in Hebrew at a level adjusted for the oleh.
How to Claim It?
- Eligibility for the relief is supposed to be given to a pupil automatically.
- If the educational institute refuses to allow a student who is a senior oleh to be examined with the relief, the Ministry of Education must be contacted:
Inquiries to the Examinations Department in the Ministry of Education
- Address: 29 Shivtei Israel Str., Jerusalem
- Telephone: 02-5602489/585
- Fax: 02-5602129
- E.Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Inquiry to the Public Inquiries and Complaints Department in the Ministry of Education
- Address: 2 Devorah Hanevia Str., Jerusalem, Postal Code 91911
- Fax: 02-5602390
- Education Services Call Center: 1-800-25-00-25
- Pupils Open Line: 1-800-222-003
- E.mail for inquiries and requests for information: email@example.com
- E.mail for submitting complaints: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A senior oleh pupil whose period of eligibility for rights as an oleh ends at the end of the 11th grade - his eligibility will be extended up until the end of his high school studies.
- A senior oleh pupil whose period of eligibility ended in the 10th grade will not have his eligibility extended beyond the set period.
- Someone sitting an exam who has concluded 12 years of study will continue to be examined until the end of his period of eligibility as a senior oleh, as has been determined for him, during the course of his studies in high school.
Laws and Regulations
- Circular of the Director General of the Ministry of Education 5769 (2008)/3(a) dated -Rights of oleh pupils and returning residents undergoing matriculation examinations.
- Questions and Answers - Rights of olim and returning residents for matric exams On the internet site of the Public Inquiries and Complaints Department in the Ministry of Education
- The original information in this value is based on H.L.H - oleh pupils and the circular of the Director General of the Ministry of Education.