It is prohibited to change the position or salary of an employee during hermaternity leave and for 60 days following maternity leave without a special permit from the Ministry of Economy.
- An employer wishing to change the position or salary of such an employee must request a special permit issued under the auspices of the Minister of Industry, Trade and Labor. The minister will issue a permit only if he has been convinced that the requested change is not related to the birth or maternity leave.
Who is Eligible?
- Employees on maternity/paternity leave or within 60 days of returning from legally guaranteed maternity leave.
How to Claim It?
- The right should be granted automatically by the employer.
- If an employer violates this prohibition, the employee is entitled to take all of the following actions:
- A woman returning to work after maternity leave is entitled to return to the same work under the same working conditions, except in special circumstance. For further information see A woman returning from maternity leave is entitled to return to the same work, under the same working conditions.
- Compensation of NIS 57,000 was granted to a woman who was fired after she returned from maternity leave because her employer preferred the person who covered her leave.
- Click here for a comprehensive listing of organizations that provide assistance for issues related to employment and workers' rights, specifically those listed under "ארגוני סיוע לנשים".
- For a list of government agencies dealing with employment and specifically with the employment of women
Laws and Regulations
- English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.