A pregnant employee on bed rest is entitled to have her employer continue contributing to her various provident funds (pension, study funds, provident funds) even during the period she is on bed rest.
Who is Eligible?
- An employee is entitled to have her employer continue contributing to her provident funds while she is on bed rest if she meets the following three conditions:
- She is entitled to a Bed Rest Benefit from the National Insurance Institute.
- Her employer's practice is to pay contributions to her provident funds (provident fund, pension fund, manager's insurance, advanced study fund (קרן השתלמות)) prior to her being on bed rest.
- She worked for the employer for at least 6 months prior to becoming pregnant.
How to Claim It?
- Employees entitled to a Bed Rest Benefit must submit their provident fund contributions to the employer every month.
- Within 7 days from payment of the employee's contributions to the employer, the employer must transfer both the employer's contributions and the employee's contributions (that were submitted to the employer from the employee on bed rest) to the provident or insurance fund.
Eligibility for Pension Fund Disability Allowance (Disability Pension) during Bed Rest
- Certain pension funds in Israel allow a woman on bed rest to receive a Pension Fund Disability Allowance (Disability Pension) if her situation impaired her ability to work for more than 90 days (or less depending on the conditions of her fund).
- If the employee is eligible for disability pension, she and her employer do not have to pay into they pension fun (the employer and employees parts) for pension insurance during this time because the pension fund will pay these amounts into the pension savings of the employee during the period in which she receives the pension benefit from the pension fund.
- For eligibility conditions and the process of receiving a disability benefit from a pension fund see:
The right to a bed rest benefit is contingent on the woman being out of work for at least 30 days. In contrast, the right to a Pension Fund Disability Pension (Disability Pension) is given only if the inability to work lasts over 90 days (or less if the fund's rules allow otherwise).Not all pension funds give a disability pension to a woman on bed rest and therefore it is important to check ahead of time with the pension fund that insures the employee.
- A pregnant employee on bed rest must submit her provident fund contributions to her employer every month in order for the employer to contribute its provident fund contributions. But, the employee's delay in depositing funds does not relinquish the employer of the responsibility to transfer the payments to the provident fund, study fund or pension plan (the employer's share and the employee's share) on time.
- Click here for a comprehensive listing of organizations that provide assistance for issues related to employment and workers' rights, specifically those listed under "ארגוני סיוע לנשים".
- Click here for a list of government agencies responsible for employment in general as well as those that deal specifically with the employment of women
Laws and Regulations
- The Employment of Women Law, Section 7a
- Employment of Women Regulations (Times and Rules for Provident Fund Payments), 5768-2008 on the Ministry of Industry, Trade, and Labor website
- English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.