Vehicles with disabled parking permits may park in areas designated for the disabled and in places where parking is not normally permitted, when certain conditions established by the Handicapped Parking Law are met; primarily that traffic is not disturbed.
- One can get one parking permit for two vehicles, if both are used to transport the handicapped person including two vehicles not owned by the handicapped person, but they use regularly.
- According to the law, the permit may only be used if the person with disabilities is in the vehicle (as a driver or passenger).
- In many cases, vehicles with disabled parking permits may park for free on sidewalks marked in blue and white. Due to the fact that this is not a national regulation, the specifics should be checked with each local authority. (For example, according to the Haifa, Tel Aviv and Beersheva call centers, this is the case in those jurisdictions.)
- According to the law, someone with a disabled parking permit may park for free in public pay parking if the only accessible approach to a public place is through that parking area.
- A vehicle with a disabled parking tag featuring the symbol of a wheelchair may drive in the lane designated for public transportation as long as the person with disabilities is in the vehicle.
- Parking permits are issued in a hard casing. When parking, the permit must be placed on the left front window of the vehicle or the driver's side window such that it can be seen clearly.
- Beginning in March 2019, a parking permit that is given permanently is valid for the person's entire life (and is not renewed every 8 years).
Validation of a license number with a disabled parking permit
- Beginning 15.04.2018, the parking permit tags are issued without the license numbers of the vehicles (it is written on the tag that the vehicle details are listed in the Transportation Authority).
- Parking lot owners and local authorities (as well as the general public) are able to see which license plat numbers are registered in the system. The system is updated every night.
- To see the database of cars with disabled parking permits visit the Ministry of Transport and Road Safety Website.
Types of Permits
- Types of permits issued to those who are eligible.
- A blue badge with the symbol of a wheelchair - for the handicapped requiring a wheelchair or vehicle traffic due to their limited mobility.
- A tag with a green triangle symbol - for those who are disabled but not confined to a wheelchair.
- Both types (the blue wheelchair icon and the green icon) that has a flower on it - for disabled IDF veterans.
- The disabled parking law makes no distinction between the different types of tags.
- According to section 71a-1 Traffic Ordinance (New Version) vehicles with a wheelchair symbol may travel in the lane for public transport when the person with a disability is in the vehicle.
Who is eligible?
- A request for a disabled parking permit can be submitted by someone suffering from an illness, or several illnesses that make walking difficult, someone for whom movement is dangerous to his/her health, or someone who is home-bound. The request is based on the most updated medical reports.
- According to section 1 of disabled parking law holders of a Certificate of Blindness/Visual Impairment are eligible for a disabled parking permit, or with confirmation from a qualifying doctor that they meet on of the following conditions:
- Individuals for whom medical disability has been established as at least 60% and for whom mobility without a vehicle is liable to negatively impact his/her health
- Individuals with limited walking capabilities who require a wheelchair for mobility purposes
- Individuals with disabilities in need of a vehicle as a means of transportation because of disability in their legs
- For more information about the medical criteria for disabled parking permit eligibility, see the Ministry of Transport and Road Safety website.
For example: A man who has suffered an illness that results in disability after reaching retirement age and can not submit a claim for disability pension due to his age, but wishes to receive benefits granted due to medical disability (that are not conditional on receipt of a disability pension).
How to claim it?
You must have all of the following documentation when requesting a disabled parking permit:
- Disabled vehicle permit request and vehicle registration exemption form
- Photocopy of identification card (teudat zehut) + attachment (sefach)
- Photocopy of vehicle registrations
- A letter sign by the applicant indicating the number of tags requested (up to two vehicles).
- People with limited mobility of all ages, who have approval from the Ministry of Health before 67 years of age, should include the approval of the Ministry of Health.
- Those who do not have limited mobility approval from the Ministry of Health, must submit up-to-date and detailed medical documentation from a specialist doctor(s) indicating their mobility capacity. It is advisable to keep copies all documents, as the documents will not be returned to the sender do not send discs and X-rays.
- For details of additional documentation required in accordance with specific disabilities see the Ministry of Transport and Road Safety website.
Cases in which approval from relevant government bodies are required
- IDF disabled veterans - Applicants must make sure that there is approval from the Ministry of Defense (the approval should be transferred automatically to the Vehicle Licensing Bureau (Misrad HaRishui)'s system)
- Blind individuals - Applicants must make sure that there is approval from the Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services (the approval should be transferred automatically to the Vehicle Licensing Bureau (Misrad HaRishui)'s system)
- Victims of hostile acts - Applicants must bring approval from the National Insurance Institute (Hostile Actions Casualties Department) that they are disabled and that mobility without a vehicle is liable to be hazardous to their health
Submitting and Tracking Progress of the Request
- The application form along with the documents can be submitted in one of the following ways: **Submit the request made online.
- The application and all relevant documents and certificates should be scanned into one PDF file.
- An answer will be given within 30 days from when the documents are submitted.
- Submit the request through the Israel post:
- The request should be sent to the Registration Branch - Limited Mobility Division, PO box 72, Cholon 58100.
- An answer will be given within 60 days from when the documents arrive at the Ministry of Transportation's Registration branch.
- You can check the status of the request online or through the Ministry of Transportation call center which is available in Hebrew, Arabic, and Russian.
- Call center for inquiries: 1-222-56-78 or *5678
- Hours of operation: Sunday-Thursday 07:00-20:00
- Friday and Holiday Eves 07:00-13:00
- If the request has been approved and completed but the tag does not arrive in the mail, you should contact the tag delivery center by calling 08-994-9700.
- Please note:After the request and medical documents are submitted, it may be necessary to check whether the person with disabilities is fit for driving. In these cases, the person may be invited to The Road Safety Authority's medical center to test his driving.
Reduced registration fee
- One of the vehicles is entitled to an exemption from the licensing fee (payment of only a 27 NIS reduced fee) on condition that the car is registered on the disabled person's name, the name of his/her spouse or the name of his/her legal guardian.
- A refund of the relative part of the license fee paid in full before the tag was received can be received retroactively.
- For more information see Reduced License Fee for Disabled Parking Permit Holders
- Application for the exemption is submitted on the application form for a disabled parking permit.
Application for an additional permit in various cases.
- In the event that a permit was lost, stolen or the vehicle with the permit has been replaced, complete an application for issuing a permit in the case of loss/theft/ return of a disabled car tag. If the vehicle was disabled for any reason (after an accident, vehicle license deposit, downloading of mobile safety, etc.) for a period exceeding one month, when the vehicle is returned, the permit holder must notify the licensing authority to be issued a new tag.
- In the event where a replacement car or a second vehicle has been added, fill out an application to issue a permit in the case of replacement of the vehicle/ or adding a vehicle
- Send the relevant form to the Mobility Impaired Care Unit, the Public Affairs Center in Holon, PO Box 72, 58100.
- The request can also be submitted online. The request form and relevant documents and approvals should be scanned into one PDF file to submit.
- In urgent cases, contact the licensing office directly.
- In case a valid parking tag owner bought a new car directly from the importer, the importer will send the details of the new vehicle licensing office for the issue of an updated parking tag.
- If the parking tag includes a single vehicle, the tag will be sent via e-Israel Importer within two weeks according to the Interior Ministry's latest address. There is no need to reach or contact the licensing office.
- If the parking tag includes two vehicles, apply in writing to the licensing office Mobility Impaired care unit, and note which of the two vehicles associated with the parking tag is replaced by a new vehicle.
- To renew an expired tag (a tag that has not been confirmed permanently and thus would automatically be renewed after eight years), one needs to repeat the process of obtaining the tag. To avoid delays, the process should be started 90 days prior to the end of the validity of the tag.
- If a permit request has been denied, you may appeal within 90 days from the date of the rejection.
- The denial of a request may only be re-appealed one year after the date of the last decision.
- Disabled permits for two vehicles may be granted, provided it is proven that both are used to transport the person with disabilities.
- The vehicle can be registered under the names of the child's parents. There is no need to register the vehicle under the child's name.
- A person with disabilities wishing to sell their car must contact the Vehicle Licensing Bureau with the buyer in order to transfer ownership.
- If you do not have private parking, check whether the local authority allows for marking a disabled parking area near the home of a person with disabilities. The option for this specially marked area is usually given only for the physically disabled (so it is generally not valid for autism, etc.).
International Parking Permit
- As of 02.07.2006, the Ministry of Transport and Road Safety no longer issues international disabled parking permits.
- Until the matter is legally and internationally regulated, it is possible to apply privately to a notary to translate the disabled parking tag (and any other relevant document) into the language of the destination country. The translated documents may be submitted to the law enforcement agencies in the target country, to find out what rights they confer.
- For more information and for alternatives, see the Access Israel website.
Laws & Regulations
- Handicapped Parking Law
- Ministry of Transport and Road Safety - Procedure Provisions 2/2015 from 10.06.2015 - Treatment of Individuals with Limited Mobility, Reduced Registration Fee, Disabled Parking Permit
- Traffic Ordinance Section 71a1 Travel of Disabled Vehicles in the Public Transportation Lanes
- Accountant General Instruction no. 15.4.1 - Parking arrangements for disabled persons coming to give/receive services in government offices.
- Equal Rights for Persons with Disabilities Regulations (Priority in Parking Spaces at the Workplace) 2001
- Disabled parking permit information on the Access Israel website.
- Establishing who should get a handicapped parking tag - a report from the Knesset research department
- Original translation performed by The Shira Pransky Project as part of a grant from The Fellowship Fund.