Upon reaching retirement age, you are eligible to receive funding assistance for an institutional arrangement (nursing home) through the state. Assistance is provided as long as the individual requesting it meets certain criteria, including level of functioning and income. One of three possible Israeli government bodies is responsibility for such arrangements, depending on the functional condition of the individual for whom placement is required:
- The Ministry of Health is responsible for long-term care and mentally frail seniors.
- The Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services is responsible for the elderly who are defined as independent or physically frail.
- Health plans are responsible for the elderly who are defined as requiring complex long-term care.
In order to place an elderly person in a nursing home, his/her consent, or the consent of a legal guardian is required.
Types of Institutional Arrangements
- Ministry of Health Assistance in Paying for Hospitalization of Nursing and Mentally Frail Patients on the Ministry of Health's English website
- Information regarding nursing homes and public assited living at the ministry of social affairs and social services website
- Information about nursing homes and sheltered housing on the Reut - Mishpacha Metapelet website
- Nursing homes, sheltered housing and assisted living on the Eshelnet (JDC-Israel) website
- For a comprehensive listing of organizations that help senior citizens and the elderly, click here.
- For a comprehensive categorized listing of healthcare organizations offering assistance and support, click here.
- For a comprehensive categorized listing of aid organizations offering assistance and support for people with disabilities, click here.
- The operator of a sheltered housing facility is not responsible if an independent tenant slips and falls in his/her own room
- Someone who lived with his parents in a sheltered housing facility for the elderly cannot be recognized as a successive tenant
Laws & Regulations
- The Sheltered Housing Law, 5772-2012
- The Supervision of Institutional Residences Law
- The National Health Insurance Law
- EshelNet website: Rights in institutional frameworks for the elderly
- Ministry of Health website: The Geriatrics Division
- Original translation performed by The Shira Pransky Project as part of a grant from The Fellowship Fund.