Much research has proven that the companionship of a pet contributes to the mental and physical well-being of seniors and people with disabilities.
- Through the Calbei Lituf Program, volunteers with dogs come to visit seniors and people with disabilities in their homes, at daycare centers and nursing homes, allowing the residents to enjoy petting and playing with the animals, as well as receiving their affection.
- The volunteers come at convenient times that are planned in advance.
- Eshel and JDC-Israel in cooperation with the Ministry of Environmental Protection and Tel Aviv University's Hayot Vehevra, a department dedicated to the study of the reciprocal relationships between animals and humans.
Target audience and Prerequisites
- Seniors in nursing homes and daycare centers, as well as chronically ill and geriatric patients in hospitals.
- Seniors and people with disabilities who are isolated and/or home-bound.
How to Receive This Service
- Institutions and departments interested in requesting a visit may contact the Reut-Eshel information center:
- Tel.: 1-700-700-204
- Online form
- The information center operates from Sunday-Thursday 09:00-16:00 and messages may be left at all other times.
Information for Volunteers
- People with dogs who would like to volunteer may contact the information center or the project manager, Liza Amoyal: email@example.com.
- Volunteers will receive personal training, being invited to meetings, workshops and activities related to pets throughout the year, and will be updated regarding various events and benefits to which they are entitled. More information may be found on the Volunteer Sign-Up Form.
- Eshel and JDC-Israel: Informational leaflet about the Calbei Lituf Program in nursing homes