Disabled Parking Permit and Exemption from License Fee (Right)

From All Rights (Kol-Zchut) (www.kolzchut.org.il)
(Redirected from Disabled Parking Permit)


The Vehicle Licensing Bureau (Misrad HaRishui) issues disabled parking permits to help those with limited mobility
People with disabilities may receive a disabled parking permit for two vehicles provided that both of them are used by the applicant
One vehicle is eligible for a reduced registration fee of only 27 NIS
A disabled parking permit which has been permanently approved, is automatically renewed every 8 years and is sent to the home of those who are eligible.
For more information see the government and information services website

Vehicles with disabled parking permits may park in areas designated for the disabled and in places where parking is not normally permitted, under certain conditions established by Handicapped Parking Law (primarily if movement is not disturbed).

  • One can get one parking permit for two vehicles, if both are used to transport the handicapped person including two vehicles not owned by the handicapped person, but they use regularly.
  • According to the law, the permit may only be used if the person with disabilities is in the vehicle (as a driver or passenger).
  • In many cases, vehicles with disabled parking permits may park for free on sidewalks marked in blue and white. Due to the fact that this is not a national regulation, the specifics should be checked with each local authority. According to the Haifa, Tel Aviv and Beersheva call centers, this is the case in those jurisdictions.
  • According to the law, someone with a disabled parking permit may park for free in public pay parking if the only accessible approach to a public place is through that parking area.
  • A vehicle with a disabled parking tag featuring the symbol of a wheelchair may drive in the lane designated for public transportation as long as the person with disabilities is in the vehicle.
  • As of January 2009, parking permits are issued in a new hard casing. When parking, the permit must be placed on the left front window of the vehicle or the driver's side window such that it can be seen clearly.
  • When the new permits became valid, all old permits were canceled and their use is prohibited.
  • A parking permit for the permanently disabled is valid for eight years. A few weeks before the permit expires, it will be renewed automatically by the Licensing Bureau (Misrad HaRishui) and sent to the permit holder's home, without any need to go to the Licensing Bureau in person.

Types of Permits

  • Types of permits issued to those who are eligible.
    • A blue badge with the symbol of a wheelchair - for the handicapped requiring a wheelchair or vehicle traffic due to their limited mobility.
    • A tag with a green triangle symbol - those who are confined to a wheelchair.
    • Both types (the blue wheelchair icon and the green icon) that has a flower on it - for disabled IDF veterans.
  • The disabled parking law makes no distinction between the different types of tags.
  • According to section 71a-1 Traffic Ordinance (New Version) vehicles with a wheelchair symbol may travel in the lane for public transport when the person with a disability is in the vehicle.

Who is eligible?

  • Someone who is suffering from an illness or disease which causes difficulty in walking or mobilizing that is harmful to their health, or are confined to their home per medical reports.
  • According to section 1 of disabled parking law holders of a Certificate of Blindness/Visual Impairment are eligible for a disabled parking permit, or with confirmation from a qualifying doctor that they meet on of the following conditions:
    • Individuals for whom medical disability has been established as at least 60% and for whom mobility without a vehicle is liable to negatively impact his/her health
    • Individuals with limited walking capabilities who require a wheelchair for mobility purposes
    • Individuals with disabilities in need of a vehicle as a means of transportation because of disability in their legs
  • For more information about the medical criteria for disabled parking permit eligibility, see the Ministry of Transport and Road Safety website.
Any person who wishes to establish (general) medical disability from the National Insurance Institute without making a claim for a disability pension can apply to the Tax Authority and be examined by the Income Tax Exemption Medical Committee.
For example: A man who has suffered an illness that results in disability after reaching retirement age and can not submit a claim for disability pension due to his age, but wishes to receive benefits granted due to medical disability (that are not conditional on receipt of a disability pension).

How to claim it?

You must have all of the following documentation when requesting a disabled parking permit:

  1. Disabled vehicle permit request and vehicle registration exemption form
  2. Photocopy of identification card (teudat zehut) + attachment (sefach)
  3. Photocopy of vehicle registrations
  4. A letter sign by the applicant indicating the number of tags requested (up to two vehicles).
  • People with limited mobility of all ages, who have approval from the Ministry of Health before 67 years of age, should include the approval of the Ministry of Health.
  • If they do not have approval from the Ministry of Health, up-to-date and detailed medical documentation from a specialist doctor(s) indicating their mobility capacity must be submitted.(It is advisable to keep copies all documents, as the documents will not be returned to the sender do not send discs and X-rays.)
  • For details of additional documentation required in accordance with specific disabilities see Ministry of Transport and Road Safety
  • In the following cases, approvals from relevant bodies and institutions are required:
    • IDF disabled veterans - Applicants must make sure that there is approval from the Ministry of Defense (the approval should be transferred automatically to the Vehicle Licensing Bureau (Misrad HaRishui)'s system)
    • Blind individuals - Applicants must make sure that there is approval from the Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services (the approval should be transferred automatically to the Vehicle Licensing Bureau (Misrad HaRishui)'s system)
    • Victims of hostile acts - Applicants must bring approval from the Hostile Actions Casualties Department of the National Insurance Institute that they are disabled and that mobility without a vehicle is liable to be hazardous to their health
  • If the applicant is not the vehicle owner, the following documentation must be attached:
    • If the vehicle is registered under the name of the applicant’s parent/child/spouse/sibiling: Copies of the identification card (teudat zehut) + attachment (sefach) of the applicant and the car’s owner in order to prove their familial relationship.
    • If the vehicle is registered under the name of a non-married partner: Copies of the identification card (teudat zehut) + attachment (sefach) of both partners as well as a contract/marriage agreement/financial agreement/declaration from a lawyer or court, showing that the couple live together and conduct their house as a couple.
    • If the vehicle is registered to who is not an immediate relative of the applicant (in-laws or friend): [file:///C:/Users/Cheryl/Downloads/Tazhir-neche.pdf Affidavit from the applicant] and [affadavit from the vehicle owner] signed by a lawyer indicating that the vehicle is used by the applicant.
    • If the vehicle is registered to a guardian: Guardian appointment order with a court stamp.
    • If the vehicle is registered under the name of an employer: Confirmation from the employer that the applicant is an employee and that the vehicle is under his/her possession.
    • If the vehicle is registered under a leasing company:
      • A lease agreement with the applicant with the logo of the leasing company and the number of private vehicles registered.
      • The leasing company logos and signs (with permission), indicating that the vehicle was purchased private financing deal to date X Date Y for approval to include the number of the disabled vehicle and details (name and ID number).
      • Photocopy of identification card (teudat zehut) + attachment (sefach)
    • If the vehicle is used as a taxi, a lease agreement must be signed by a lawyer.
    • A vehicle belonging to an organization used to transport the disabled:
      • Formal approval from the Register of Association of Non-Profits or other relevant official bodies that are organizations aimed at assistance or transportation facilities.
      • Deposition signed in front of an attorney that the vehicle is designed to transport the disabled and that the use of the tag will only be used when transporting disabled people.
  • The application form along with the documents should be sent to:
Ministry of Transport and Road Safety
The Unit for Limited Mobility - Update and Control Center
(היחידה לטיפול במוגבלי ניידות במרכז עדכון ובקרה)
PO Box 72, Holon 58100
  • The request can also be made online (scan the application and all relevant documents and certificates into one PDF file).
  • There is no need to go to the Vehicle Licensing Bureau.
  • As of 02.01.2011, handicapped parking permit requests will be handled within 90 days of arrival of the request to the Unit for the Limited Mobility.
  • It is recommended to keep up to date on the status of the request, at least three weeks after submission, through the National Information Center - Human Response, which is available in Hebrew, Arabic, and Russian.
Call center for inquiries: 1-222-56-78 or *5678
Hours of operation: Sunday-Thursday 07:00-20:00, Friday and Holiday Eves 07:00-13:00
  • Tags are valid for 8 years. Toward the end of the period, a new one will be sent without needing to go to the Vehicle Licensing Bureau.

Reduced registration fee

  • One of the vehicles is entitled to exemption from the licensing fee (payment of only a 27 NIS reduced fee).
  • Application for the exemption is submitted on the application form for a disabled parking permit.

Retroactive reimbursement

  • You may receive a retroactive reimbursement for the proportional portion of the registration fee which was paid in full (before receiving the permit).
  • The determining date for purposes of reimbursement is the date disability was approved or the date eligible vehicle ownership was transferred.
  • You must fill out and submit a registration fee reimbursement request (it may be downloaded here) or you may also fill out and send an online form (only works with Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers).
  • Attach together with the form:
    • Photocopy of a blank check to verify bank details.
    • Photocopy of fees paid
    • Photocopy of identification card (teudat zehut) + attachment (sefach)
    • Photocopy of car license
  • A parent who is the legal guardian of a child with disabilities over the age of 18 must attach the court appointment with a court stamp.
  • You may submit your request at the closest Vehicle Licensing Bureau (Misrad HaRishui) (Click here for a list of the vehicle licensing bureaus), or by sending your request by mail.
  • The finance department will handle the request from three to six months following the date the request was entered into the system.

Application for an additional permit in various cases.

  • In the event that a permit was lost, stolen or the vehicle with the permit has been replaced, complete an application for issuing a permit in the case of loss/theft/ return of a disabled car tag. If the vehicle was disabled for any reason (after an accident, vehicle license deposit, downloading of mobile safety, etc.) for a period exceeding one month, when the vehicle is returned, the permit holder must notify the licensing authority to be issued a new tag.
  • In the event where a replacement car or a second vehicle has been added, fill out an application to issue a permit in the case of replacement of the vehicle/ or adding a vehicle
  • Send the relevant form to the Mobility Impaired Care Unit, the Public Affairs Center in Holon, PO Box 72, 58100.
  • In urgent cases, contact the licensing office directly.
  • In case a valid parking tag owner bought a new car directly from the importer, the importer will send the details of the new vehicle licensing office for the issue of an updated parking tag.
    • If the parking tag includes a single vehicle, the tag will be sent via e-Israel Importer within two weeks according to the Interior Ministry's latest address. There is no need to reach or contact the licensing office.
    • If the parking tag includes two vehicles, apply in writing to the licensing office Mobility Impaired care unit, and note which of the two vehicles associated with the parking tag is replaced by a new vehicle.
  • To renew an expired tag (the tag has not been confirmed permanently and thus automatically renewed after eight years), go through the process of obtaining the tag. To avoid delays, the process should be started 90 days prior to the end of the validity of the tag.


  • If a permit request has been denied, you may appeal within 90 days from the date of the rejection.
  • The denial of a request may only be re-appealed one year after the date of the last decision.

Please note

  • Disabled permits for two vehicles may be granted, provided it is proven that both are used to transport the person with disabilities.
  • The vehicle can be registered under the names of the child's parents. There is no need to register the vehicle under the child's name.
  • A person with disabilities wishing to sell their car must contact the Vehicle Licensing Bureau with the buyer in order to transfer ownership.
  • If you do not have private parking, check whether the local authority allows for marking a disabled parking area near the home of a person with disabilities. The option for this specially marked area is usually given only for the physically disabled (so it is generally not valid for autism, etc.).

International Parking Permit

  • As of 02.07.2006, the Ministry of Transport and Road Safety no longer issues international disabled parking permits.
  • For more information and for alternatives, see the Access Israel website.

Aid organizations

Government agencies

Laws & Regulations

Additional publications