Hebrew source: הנחה בחשבון חשמל למקבלי גמלת ילד נכה
From All Rights (Kol-Zchut) (www.kolzchut.org.il)
Disabled Child Benefit recipients are entitled, subject to specific conditions of eligibility, to an electricity bill discount of 50% off for the first 400kwH of residential consumption per month.
Make sure that the person who actually receives the benefit is the person officially registered on the electric company contract
For more information, see the Israel Electric Company website
As of 01.05.2012 and subject to specific conditions of eligibility discussed herein, Disabled Child Benefit recipients are entitled to an electricity bill discount.
- The discount is given every month and is worth 50% off the first 400KwH of usage each month (800KwH on a bi-monthly electricity bill), at the residential rates, and is valid for homes that are used for residential purposes only.
Who is Eligible?
- According to an Amendment to the Electricity Sector Law, the discount is given in the following cases:
- A child who receives a Disabled Child Benefit because he needs special medical treatment. Blood tests that are performed twice a day at home or once a week outside the home, are not considered to be special medical treatment for discount eligibility purposes.
- A child age 3 and up, who is eligible for a Disabled Child Benefit because of his dependence on others for every day activities. This refers to someone who is eligible for a benefit of 50% in the case of someone who is significantly dependent on others and 188% for someone who is completely dependent.
How to Claim It?
- Every month, the National Insurance Institute sends an updated list of those who are eligible to the electric company.
- The National Insurance Institute also sends a notification of eligibility to everyone who is eligible.
- The discount is only given automatically on the electricity bill for those whose information appearing in the electric company's records matches the information received from the National Insurance Institute (the parent who is registered as actually receiving the benefit The discount is given according to the name and identification number of the person who is entitled, as he/she is registered on the contract with the electric company.
- Those who have been notified of their eligibility for the discount from the National Insurance Institute, but for whom the discount has not yet appeared on the electricity bill should call the customer service center by dialing 103 toll-free and update their name and identification number information (referencing the contract number found on the electricity bill) with the representative. If the contract is registered in someone else's name, he can request to transfer the registration onto his name.
Continued eligibility for adults
- One who receives Disabled Child Benefit and has reached the age of 18 and 3 months, will have his/her disability status re-evaluated in the National Insurance Institute as an adult.
- One who is found eligible for the Special Services Benefit (Attendance Allowance), in the amount of 105% or more, should give over his/her details to the electric company as eligible to receive a discount.
- In this case, in order to receive the discount from the electric company, one must register his/her electric contract in his/her (name + identity number) as explained on the Electricity Bill Discount for Special Services Benefit (Attendance Allowance) Recipients page.
- The maximum discount amount is 110 NIS per month, and 220 NIS per bi-monthly bill (as of January 2017).
- The discount will appear on the bill in the section that breaks down the components of the bill under a separate heading titled "discount for the those eligible." That section will cite the amount of the discount that was subtracted from the bill.
- In the body of the bill, the calculations of the discount are detailed; the number of KwH (the electricity measurement) that the discount was given on and the rate charged per KwH.
- A sample electricity bill (click on the image to see the full bill):
- You may ask to get your electricity bill monthly instead of once every other month
- Likewise you can call the 103 hotline and clarify if there are other ways to make payment easier such as:
- the ability to pay your electricity bill using payment vouchers
- limiting your electric use through pre-paying the electric meter for long periods of time
- Facilitating debt arrangements for consumers with financial difficulties by eliminating interest rates and collection costs
- The National Insurance Institute
- The Israel Electric Company
- see also Discounts on Electricity Bills for the disabled on the "Kol Habriut" website from the Ministry of Health.
Laws and Regulations
- The Electricity Sector Law
- Electricity Sector Regulations (Reduced payments to those eligible),2011 Nevo Website
- The National Insurance Law
- The National Insurance Regulations (Disabled Child)