This portal provides information on the processes related to employing a foreign nursing care worker, as well as the terms of that employment.
Those who do not reside in a long-term care facility, but who need supervision from a full-time nursing professional are eligible to receive a permit to employ a foreign worker. The information presented here is divided into three parts which constitute the process of employing a foreign nursing care worker:
- Eligibility criteria and obtaining recognition as a long-term care patient
- Process of obtaining permits to recruit and employ a foreign nursing care worker
- Terms of employing a foreign worker including workers' rights with which the employer is obligated comply
Important: A foreign worker is entitled to all the rights of an Israeli worker, including pension contributions, severance pay ect. To avoid legal proceedings and frustration, those employing foreign workers are obligated to financially prepare themselves in case of termination of employment, dismissal of the employee or the employer's death.
Eligibility for Employing a Foreign Worker
- General information on employing a foreign nursing care worker
- Eligibility to Employ a Foreign Nursing Care Worker
- Employing a foreign worker after release from the hospital
- Dependency assessment test
- Dependency assessment test for those rejected by the National Insurance Institute due to high income
- Eligibility Exceptions for Employing a Foreign Nursing Care Worker
- Appealing a decision regarding a request to employ a foreign nursing care worker
- Employing a second foreign nursing care worker
- Employing a Foreign Worker to Care for a Child with Disabilities
Employing a Foreign Worker and Hospitalization
Processes Related to Employing a Foreign Worker
General Conditions for Employment
Foreign Worker's Rights
- Foreign Workers Rights (portal)
- Health Insurance for Foreign Workers
- National Insurance for foreign workers
- Pension insurance for foreign workers
- Monthly Deposit Obligation for Employers of Foreign Workers in the Construction, Technology and Nursing Care.
- Withdrawal of the Deposit by a Foreign Worker in Construction, Technology and Nursing Care
- Income Tax Credit Points for Foreign Workers
- Foreign Workers Rights following the death of the care recipient or placement into nursing care.
- Kav Lamassik Information and Legal Advice for Foreign Workers.
- Welfare Department - Municipality of Jerusalem
- Kav LaOved
- The Hotline for Refugees and Migrants
- Physicians for Human Rights - Israel
- New Family Assistance to Families of Foreign Workers
Assistance for Foreign Workers Employed in Nursing
- Association of Law in the Service of the Elderly
- Yad Riva - Legal Assistance to the Elderly
- Reuth Eshel Information Center
- Babait - Welfare and Assistance to the Elderly
- For a comprehensive categorized listing of organizations offering assistance and support to foreign workers, see the "ארגוני סיוע" section on the Employment of Foreign Workers Portal.
- For a comprehensive categorized listing of organizations offering assistance and support to the elderly, click here.
- For a comprehensive categorized listing of healthcare organizations offering assistance and support to people with disabilities click here.
- The Ministry of Interior - The Population, Immigration, and Border Crossing Authority
- The Ministry of Economy
- The National Insurance Institute
- Foreign workers serving as personal care assistants are not entitled to overtime pay
- Prohibition of charging brokerage fees for foreign workers
- Compensation for Foreign Workers for a Weekly Day of Rest
Laws & Regulations
- The Foreign Workers Law
- Employment Services Memo (Payments from a Job Applicant for Job Brokering), 5762-2012
- Population, Immigration and Border Authority Regulation 5.3.0002 from 31.12.2013 - Procedure for employing a foreign nursing care worker
- Policy regarding employment of foreign workers on the Population, Immigration, and Border Crossing Authority's website
- Guide to employing foreign workers in the Government Services and Information Portal
- Rights leaflets for migrants working in the nursing field from Kav LaOved (Worker's Hotline), available in Hebrew, English, Romanian, Russian and Nepalese
- Foreign and Nursing Workers Portal
- Foreign workers rights leaflet on the Yadayim website
- Criteria for granting a permit to employ foreign workers in the field of nursing on the Population, Immigration, and Border Crossing Authority's website
- Original translation performed by The Shira Pransky Project as part of a grant from The Fellowship Fund.