This portal contains important information for understanding patients' rights as they pertain to the health plans including policyholders' rights, the process of switching health plans, the referral process for receiving treatment in different medical facilities, as well as information about specific benefits and entitlements.
A significant part of the healthcare system takes place within the community through the health plan clinics. You will find important information about relevant rights and processes on this page.
Health Plan Guides to Rights and Services
Receiving Medical Services
- Choosing Medical Service Providers
- Health Plan Choice of Service Provider Arrangements
- Obtaining a Payment Voucher (Form 17) from the Health Plan
- Maintaining Continuity of Care (Principle of Treatment Continuity)
- Specialized Medical Service
- Funding Medical Treatment Abroad
- Additional Medical Opinions
- Social Work Assistance in the Health Services Framework
Choosing a Health Plan and Switching Health Plans
Complaints and Appeals
- Maintaining Patient Dignity and Privacy During Medical Treatment
- Presence of a Family Member or Other Person During Medical Examinations
- Presence of a Family Member During Physical Examinations and Medical Treatment of Minors
- Refusing the Presence of Students at Medical Examinations or Procedures
- Disclosing Medical Information to a Patient's Family
Exemptions and Discounts
- For a comprehensive categorized listing of healthcare organizations offering assistance and support, click here.
- The health plan must provide reimbursement due to delayed treatment
- Reimbursement for surgery performed abroad in case of a complete lack of experience in performing the operation in Israel
- The health plan was obligated to pay for catheterization for a resident of the North who decided to have the procedure performed at a hospital in the center of the country
Laws & Regulations
- The National Health Insurance Law
- National Health Insurance Regulations (Arrangements for Selection of Service Providers), 5765-2005
- National Health Insurance Regulations (Health Services in Foreign Countries), 5755-1995
- National Health Insurance Regulations (Procedures for Health Plan Registration and Change), 5755-1995.
- National Health Insurance Regulations (Additional Services Plan and Changes Therein), 5759-1998
- Assistant Director of Health Plan and Additional Healthcare Services Supervision Circular 06/2011 from 09/06/2011 - Implementation of National Health Insurance Regulations (Arrangements for Selection of Service Providers), 5765-2005
- Ministry of Health Director Circular 2/99 "Trapped Doctors - Preserving Trust in the Era of Conflicting Interests"
- The Knesset Research and Information Center - "The Impact of Payment Arrangements between the Health Plans and the Public Hospitals on the Options for Service Providers Offered by the Health Plans to their Members"
- Original translation performed by The Shira Pransky Project as part of a grant from The Fellowship Fund.