Those with limited mobility may turn to the local authority to request that a ג-43 sign be placed near their home indicating disabled parking only.
Who is Eligible?
- Those above the age of 3 who have had limited mobility of 60% established by a Medical Committee at the Ministry of Health.
- Parents of adults or children who meet the above criteria.
- Those above retirement age may be entitled based upon the the medical opinion of a specialist doctor of their mobility to be limited by 60%.
Cases Where No Approval Will Be Given For Placing A Sign Or Marking A Parking Area
- The following cases shall not be granted permission to place a sign or marking the parking area:
- The applicant has private parking for the apartment.
- In the area of the applicant's residence there are empty parking spaces.
- In a case where it is difficult to find a parking space and the disability is severe, a disabled parking sign and space will be considered more necessary.
- In a case where there is private parking, but the entrance to the home is only accessible from a different place, a sign will be considered more necessary.
How to Claim It?
- There is no universal law that arranges disabled parking matters and every local authority establishes bylaws arranging the matter for its jurisdiction. For this reason, procedures for receiving a parking space may vary among the different local authorities. (See links to relevant information found on different local authority websites on the Access Israel site).
- Generally, applicants must turn in writing to the body responsible for signage in the Traffic Division of the local authority (often called "the municipal transportation committee", but the name may be different from one local authority to another) and include the following documentation:
- Request letter
- Photocopy of national identification card (teudat zehut)
- Photocopy of vehicle registration
- Documentation indicating the disability percentage from a qualified institution ( like the National Insurance Institute or the Ministry of Defense)
- Documentation from the Ministry of Health indicating the degree of limited mobility
- Those above retirement age may be requested to instead include the medical opinion of a specialist doctor attesting to a 60% limited mobility based on the handicap provisions of the Health Ministry (you can find the list of impairments on the request form for medical examination to establish limited mobility
- Documentation from the Ministry of Transportation indicating receipt of a disabled parking permit/copy of both sides of the disabled parking permit
- The local authority committee considers the necessity of the signage and decides to approve, reject or ask for more information regarding the request.
- The committee must explain its decision.
- It is recommended to request the decision in writing.
- Some authorities charge a fee for placing a sign.
- Click here for a comprehensive categorized listing of healthcare organizations offering assistance and support to people with various disabilities.
- Disabled parking sign by the home on the Access Israel website.
- Parking space next to residence on the Makom Meyuchad website.