Vocational Rehabilitation and Educational Assistance for People with Disability (Right)

From All Rights (Kol-Zchut) (www.kolzchut.org.il)


Someone for whom a General Disability Medical Committee has established permanent weighted medical disability of at least 20% may be eligible for vocational rehabilitation
Eligibility for vocational rehabilitation is not conditional on eligibility to receive any other benefit or pension
While receiving vocational training, participants' tuition will be paid, in addition to rehabilitation expenses, travel or housing expenses, as well as support and accessibility services, as required
  • According to the National Insurance Law, those for whom a medical committee has established weighted permanent medical disability to be at least 20%, and who have not yet reached retirement age, may be eligible for vocational rehabilitation.
  • Vocational rehabilitation is intended to promote successful integration into the job market by providing appropriate professional skills and/or job placement assistance.
  • Each rehabilitation program is customized according to personal needs and abilities.
  • The services are provided by social workers, professionals in the field of rehabilitation, who provide rehabilitation and occupational assessment and advising and provide guidance to the participants until they are integrated into the workforce.
  • As part of the rehabilitation program, participants may study at a wide range of institutions of higher education (universities and colleges), as well as at other educational and training facilities that give professional certifications and are supervised by a government agency, such as the Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Labor, the Ministry of Education, etc.
  • Specific information regarding rehabilitation programs for certain populations:

Program Duration

  • According to the National Insurance Institutes Circular, beginning from 15.01.2015, one who has received disability less than 65% will be eligible for assistance during a 12 month period, and in specific cases, as detailed below, will be eligible for assistance beyond the 12 month period.
    • If the studies are in an institution of higher education, financial assistance will be provided during the last year of studies.
    • If one is taking a professional development course whose duration is longer than 12 consecutive months, financial assistance will be provided during the last 12 months of the program.
  • Similarly, it is established that one who is in need of financial assistance for an extended period of time, can receive such, as long as the following conditions are met:
    • They receive General Disability Pension (full or partial).
    • 40% disability was established and they require assistance.
    • An appropriate recommendation was given by a rehabilitation counselor.
  • Assistance is provided in addition to financing training programs/studies, such as pre-academic institutions, a psychometric test and completing matriculation examinations.

Assistance Provided during Studies

  • During the course of one's studies, the National Insurance Institute will pay the following:
    • Tuition (up to a maximum sum equivalent to university tuition), school supplies, teaching aids and tutoring.
    • Psychometric examination preparatory course - Reimbursement may be received for a course that began up to one year prior to submission of the request for rehabilitation.
    • Travel expenses - For those without a car, expenses for travel to their studies will be paid according to the actual out-of-pocket expenses incurred in accordance with public transportation costs.
    • Rental assistance - If the educational facility is more than 40km from the student's home, such that he/she must sleep outside the home, and the educational program is full-time, the possibility to receive rental assistance, in accordance with the amounts previously established for rent by the rehabilitation assessor according to the relevant regulations will be reviewed.
    • Support and accessibility services such as a sign language interpreter, transcriptions and readings.
    • Rehabilitation pay is paid to those who are entitled to rehabilitation according to the law, who study at least 20 hours a week in a professional training program.
  • Those who do not receive a disability pension are entitled to rehabilitation pay equal to the disability pension amount paid to those with disability established at 100%, according to their family composition.
  • Those who receive a partial disability pension will receive rehabilitation pay equal to the difference between their partial disability pension and the disability pension amount paid to those with disability established at 100%, according to their family composition. See here for rates.
  • Those who receive a full disability pension are not entitled to receive rehabilitation pay.

Who is eligible?

  • Those for whom a medical committee has established weighted permanent medical disability to be at least 20%, who have not yet reached retirement age, and who also meet all of the following conditions:
    • Are unable to return to their previous employment or other suitable work due to the disability.
    • Require professional training in order to return to their previous employment or to work somewhere else more suited to their abilities and skills with the disability.
    • Are suited for vocational rehabilitation, capable of participating in the vocational rehabilitation process and integrate as an employee in the regular job market (as opposed to sheltered or supported employment).

Eligibility of a Spouse

  • For those with disabilities who are determined to be unsuitable for vocational rehabilitation, the option of transferring eligibility for the rehabilitation to a spouse may be examined.
  • For this to occur, the spouse must meet the following conditions:
    • Resides permanently with their spouse who has disabilities.
    • A disability pension supplement is paid for him/her.
    • He/she has not yet reached retirement age.

How to claim it?

  • A vocational rehabilitation claim should be submitted to the National Insurance Institute's Rehabilitation Department office closest to the applicant's place of residence.
  • Claims must be submitted on Form 270 - Vocational Rehabilitation Claim Form.
  • A National Insurance Institute rehabilitation assessor will advise the applicant regarding the choice of the most proper educational/occupational option according to the applicant's aspirations, skills and limitations. If required, the rehabilitation assessor will also consult with doctors, psychologists and other rehabilitation specialists.
  • The rehabilitation assessor will help the applicant choose a profession which has demand in the job market and which can be learned in a limited period of time. At the end of the learning and training period, the rehabilitation assessor will then help with job placement.
  • To arrange an advisory session with a rehabilitation assessor, one can call: 02-6463488 (call routing service on rehabilitation branches throughout the country).

Aid organizations

  • For a comprehensive categorized listing of healthcare organizations offering assistance and support, click here.

Government agencies

Laws & Regulations