The health plans provide funding for hearing devices for those age 65 and above.
- The funding is given for a device for each ear, once every 3.5 years.
- You can receive a basic model of the hearing device without any co-payment.
- If you want to upgrade to a more expensive device, you have to pay the co-payment amount which is the difference between the cost of the device (as determined between the kupat cholim and distributor) and 3,704 NIS.
- Those covered by supplementary insurance may be entitled to additional funding of the devices, but they are not required to use the complementary insurance for the purpose of purchasing the devices.
Who is Eligible?
- Health fund policy holders age 65 and older for whom a hearing test at a recognized facility determined that they require a hearing device.
- Policyholders between age 18 and 65 can receive assistance under different conditions. Click here for more information.
How to Claim It?
- Each Kupat Cholim has its own arrangements with different hearing clinics and hearing device importers.
- Insured individuals over the age of 65 are allowed to choose from any of the clinics their kupat cholim has an arrangement with.
- Those interested in buying hearing devices privately and not from a place that the kupat cholim has an arrangement with, need to check before purchasing the device whether or not the kupat cholim will refund some of the private purchase. (Kupot Cholim are permitted, but not required, to provide a reimbursement option for this population for people who buy privately.)
Contacting the Kupot Cholim
- Applicants should contact their health plan for information about receiving the funding:
|Health Plan||Customer Service Center||Information on the Health Plan Website|
|Meuchedet||1-222-3833||Instructions regarding hearing device fittings and purchases|
|Maccabi||3555*||Hearing Devices for Adults|
- It is important when having a hearing device fitted, to ensure that it is being performed by a certified communications clinician with proper certification and a license from the Ministry of Health.
- For a comprehensive categorized listing of organizations offering assistance and support to the deaf and hearing impaired, click here.
- Click here for a full list of government agencies responsible for issues related to old age and aging
- Main government agencies:
|Government Agency||Website||Rights and Areas of Responsibility|
|*8840 Ministry for Social Equality - Hotline for Public Inquiries||Ministry for Social Equality website||The *8840 hotline run by the Ministry for Social Equality gives the elderly a central address to direct all of their questions, provide information regarding rights, services and benefits entitled to the elderly. It also helps them actualize these rights.|
|*6050 hotlines - The National Insurance Institute||Senior Citizens' Rights on the National Insurance Institute's website.||Rights to various allowances given based on age and economic situation.|
|*9696 hotline - The National Insurance Institute's Call Center for Senior Citizen Counseling Services||Senior Citizens' Rights on the National Insurance Institute's website.||Free aid provided through counseling services for senior citizens and the call center|
| The Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services
||Senior Citizens on the Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services website||Funding of Nursing Homes for independent and frail seniors. Various services are also provided within the community.|
|The Ministry of Health||Senior Health on the Ministry of Health website.||Health Insurance and assistance for those suffering from age related health problems.|
|*5442 The Ministry of Housing and Construction Call Center||The Ministry of Construction and Housing website||Housing Assistance and Problem Solving for Senior Citizens|
|Equal Employment Opportunities Commission- 02-6662701||Equal Employment Opportunities Commission website]||The commission responsible for enforcing equality in the workplace and for handling cases of prohibited discrimination.|
|The Population and Immigration Authority - *3450||Population and Immigration Authority website||Treatment of foreign workers, responsible for giving permits for the employment of foreign workers, managing the financial deposits that employers of foreign workers are required to deposit, oversight of the entrance and exit of foreign workers into Israel, issuing a death certificate, and updating the Population authority.|
Laws and Regulations
- The National Health Insurance Law
- Medical Administration Circular 34/2011 from 11.10.2011 - Expansion of the healthcare basket for 2011: Hearing devices for those 65 and older
- Ministry of Health Director Circular 4/11 from 23.01.2011 - Expansion of the healthcare basket for 2011 (Section VI on page 9)
- Hearing Loss in the Elderly on the Ministry of Health website.
- This page was written with assistance from the Bekol organization.
- English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.