Independent or physically frail seniors requiring financial assistance for a nursing home, are entitled to received assistance from the government.
Seniors moving to a nursing home are not required to give up their own home in order to move there.

An elderly person defined as an independent or physically frail senior, who has decided to move to a nursing home may choose one of the following two options:

  • If the senior does not wish to receive financial assistance for the nursing home, he/she may contact the place of his/her choosing directly.
  • If the senior is incapable of paying for the nursing home, a social worker at a social services office in his/her place of residence may be contacted in order to make arrangements for receiving financial assistance from the government.
  • The financial assistance request process is composed of a number of stages:

Contacting a Social Worker

  • Seniors choosing to request financial assistance from the government to live in a nursing home must contact a social worker at a social services office in their place of residence. Click here to locate the nearest social services office.
  • In a meeting with the social worker, the senior and his/her family will be given guidance and counseling regarding the suitability of a nursing home and which types of nursing homes are available.
A 75 year old religious man has decided that he wants to move to a nursing home. He contacted a social worker for guidance. The social worker gave him background information about nursing homes and what is involved when moving from independent living to a nursing home. Due to the fact that the man is religious, the social worker gave him a list of licensed nursing homes that are suitable for religious people.
  • The social worker will have the senior sign a form relinquishing his/her pension and National Insurance benefits.
  • The social worker will visit the senior's home and fill out a social work report.

Documentation That Must be Submitted to the Social Worker

  • Photocopy of the senior's national identification card (teudat zehut) including the attachment (sefach).
  • Updated functioning report filled out by a nurse and family doctor.
  • Additional medical documentation detailing the senior's medical condition.
  • Documentation of amount received from National Insurance benefits.
  • If the senior receives a pension - The last three pension payslips.
  • Bank statements for the past three months
  • Proof of income for the past three months for each of the senior's children and their spouses, in addition to their national identification cards (teudot zehut) including the attachments (sfachim).
  • Documentation regarding the senior's current living situation:
    • Private home - A land registration extract (nesach tabu) must be provided along with an assessor's appraisal
    • Key money home - A protected lease must be provided, along with rent receipts, a land registration extract (nesach tabu), and an assessor's appraisal; the key to the home must be left at the municipality building upon moving into the nursing home
    • Rentals (private or public) - A rental agreement must be provided along with an affidavit from a lawyer or notary that the senior owns no real estate assets.

Nursing Home Payment

  • After submitting the relevant forms and based on the submitted documentation, an income test will be carried out according to which the contributions of the senior and each of his/her children will be determined.

Residents' Contributions

  • Seniors living solely off of an Old Age Pension will pay 80% of the pension for the nursing home arrangements.
  • Seniors living off of a pension and an Old Age Pension will pay all of their pension and 65% of the Old Age Pension for the nursing home arrangements.
  • If a senior citizen owns a home or other properties that are or may be rented out, and his current income does not cover the nursing home costs, the amount he receives or could receive for renting his properties is calculated into his total income for the purpose of calculating his contributions to nursing home payments.
  • If the senior's spouse continues living at home, the established amount will be paid after both have moved out.

Residents' Children's Contributions

  • The amount each child is required to contribute differs, and is based on income, the number of children they have below the age of 18, and any other special expenses they may have.
The son of a senior citizen that wants to enter a nursing home lives on 5,300 NIS a month. He has five small children. Due to his low income and number of children under the age of 18, he is exempt from nursing home contributions on behalf of his father.
  • If children do not cooperate in providing proof of income in order to have their eligibility determined, or if they are not willing to contribute the amount that has been determined, the parent will not be able to move into a nursing home unless the parent can fund it privately or if it is determined that staying in the house puts the senior at risk.
A senior citizen wishes to move to a nursing home. Four of his five children cooperate and have submitted proofs of income so that his eligibility may be determined, but one son refused to cooperate. Due to the fact that the senior does not have the means to pay for a nursing home out of pocket, he was prevented from moving.

Children's Appeals

  • Children who oppose the contribution amount established for them are entitled to submit an appeal thorough the social worker to a Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services appeals committee.
  • The letter of appeal must be accompanied by a detailed explanation of why the contribution amount should be lowered.
  • Recommendations from the social worker and the municipal coordinator must be attached.
The only son of a senior requesting to move to a nursing home submitted his proof of income in order for the amount of his contribution to be determined. Due to the fact that his income is high, he is not married and has no children, his contribution amount was determined to be 4,000 NIS per month. The son submitted a request for a discount to the appeals committee due to the fact that he is currently in a drug and gambling rehabilitation program and has many debts to pay off. The appeals committee approved a temporary discount for a period of six months, at the end of which the case will be reviewed in light updated information.

Entrance Fee

  • An entrance fee is paid in addition to the determined co-pay amounts and is equal to double the co-pay amount (not including the portion that is paid from the senior's (or his/her spouses's) National Insurance Institute benefits).
  • The nursing home entrance fee may be paid in installments (up to 4).
  • In the event that the senior citizen leaves the nursing home before 60 days have passed from his/her entry, the relative portion of the entrance fee will be refunded according to the number of days remaining of the 60 days.
  • Children who are exempt from paying monthly contributions are also exempt from paying entrance fees.

Local Authority Social Services Office Institutional Arrangements Committee

  • After the eligibility determination process and the family has been notified regarding contribution amounts, the senior and his/her family will be invited to appear before a social services office decisions committee.
  • The following social services representatives sit on the committee:
    • The senior's social worker
    • A regional coordinator for issues of aging
    • An institutional arrangements coordinator
  • The committee will determine if the senior is suitable for a nursing home for independent seniors or the physically frail.
  • During the committee hearing, the senior may express his/her preference regarding a nursing home.
A man requested to move to a nursing home. He arranged and submitted all relevant documentation to the social worker. After each family member's contribution was determined, the senior and his family were requested to appear before an institutional arrangements committee. The committee approved the senior's arrangements with Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services funding. As a result, the information provided by the man was sent to the nursing home to which he requested so that it could arrange an admissions committee meeting for him.
A man requested to move to a nursing home. He submitted all relevant documentation to the social worker. After each family member's contribution was determined, the senior and his family were invited to a decisions committee meeting. In talking to the senior and upon reviewing his documentation, it became clear that he suffers from Alzheimer's disease. Since submitting the papers, his condition further deteriorated. The committee determined that he is not suitable for Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services funding. As a result of his medical condition and level of functioning, his family was referred to the Ministry of Health to provide institutional arrangements with Ministry of Health funding.

Appealing a Committee Decision

  • If an application is rejected by the committee, the senior may re-apply.
  • If the application is rejected a second time, he/she may turn to a Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services appeals committee.

Nursing Home Admissions Committee

  • After a social services office decisions committee has approved the senior's nursing home arrangements, it will send his/her details to the chosen nursing home.
  • Only nursing homes with a license from the Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services may be chosen.
  • The nursing home will invite the senior to appear before an admissions committee.
  • If the nursing home is not willing to accept the senior, the Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services will send his/her information to another nursing home.
  • If the senior is found to be suitable for the nursing home and there is no vacancy, he/she will wait until there is.
After a senior's case was approved by his local authority's institutional arrangements committee, his documents were sent to the nursing home he requested. The nursing home then invited him to appear before an admissions committee meeting to which he came with his son. The senior and his son spoke with the nursing home director, a doctor and a social worker. The nursing home admissions committee decided along with the senior and his son that he could integrate well at the nursing home and he was accepted.

Signing a Contract

  • After the senior has been approved by the admissions committee and a place has been arranged for him/her in the nursing home, s/he and the family members must go to the social services office to sign a contract.
  • When signing the contract, arrangements for paying the local authority's social services department will also be signed.

Trial Period

  • After signing the contract and making arrangements with the nursing home, the senior may move in for a trial period of six months.
  • If the senior decides to leave the nursing home before six months have passed and it turns out that the co-payment amount, including the entrance fee, exceeds the actual cost of the arrangement in the nursing home, the difference between the amount paid and the actual cost will be refunded.

Aid Organizations

Government Agencies

Government Agency Website Rights and Areas of Responsibility
*8840 Ministry for Social Equality - Hotline for Public Inquiries Ministry for Social Equality website The *8840 hotline run by the Ministry for Social Equality gives the elderly a central address to direct all of their questions, provide information regarding rights, services and benefits entitled to the elderly. It also helps them actualize these rights.
*6050 hotlines - The National Insurance Institute Senior Citizens' Rights on the National Insurance Institute's website. Rights to various allowances given based on age and economic situation.
*9696 hotline - The National Insurance Institute's Call Center for Senior Citizen Counseling Services Senior Citizens' Rights on the National Insurance Institute's website. Free aid provided through counseling services for senior citizens and the call center
The Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services

Shil - Citizens Advice Service hotline - 118

Senior Citizens on the Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services website Funding of Nursing Homes for independent and frail seniors. Various services are also provided within the community.
The Ministry of Health

*5400 "Kol HaBriut" Ministry of Health Hotline

Senior Health on the Ministry of Health website. Health Insurance and assistance for those suffering from age related health problems.
*5442 The Ministry of Housing and Construction Call Center The Ministry of Construction and Housing website Housing Assistance and Problem Solving for Senior Citizens
Equal Employment Opportunities Commission- 02-6662701 Equal Employment Opportunities Commission website] The commission responsible for enforcing equality in the workplace and for handling cases of prohibited discrimination.
The Population and Immigration Authority - *3450 Population and Immigration Authority website Treatment of foreign workers, responsible for giving permits for the employment of foreign workers, managing the financial deposits that employers of foreign workers are required to deposit, oversight of the entrance and exit of foreign workers into Israel, issuing a death certificate, and updating the Population authority.

Laws and Regulations