In order to improve the quality of treatment provided in the healthcare system, medical information is transferred between the health plans and the hospitals on through a closed network (with the exception of certain sensitive topics). For more information see Sharing and transfer of medical information of patients between the health plans and the hospitals.
- Policyholders who do not wish for their personal medical information to be transferred between the permitted entities may submit a request to be removed from the network.
- Removal from the network is absolute and can't be limited to specific cases, institutions or care givers.
Target Audience and Prerequisites
- All health plan policyholders who do not wish for their medical information to be transferred between the health funds and the hospitals.
Stages of the Process
- One who is interested in being removed from the information network should submit a request to his branch of the health fund that insures him.
- The request should be submitted on the Request form for removal from the National Health Information Exchange Network for adults over the age of 18
- Parents who want to remove their children from the information network must sign the request to remove a minor form (when the child turns 18, if he/she wishes to remain off the network he/she needs to sign on an a new adult request form).
- There is an option to fill out forms in English, Russian and Arabic, (including forms for a minor, adult or a legally unfit person).
- Soldiers interested in being removed from the information network should contact Mikol HaLev.
- The request will take effect within 30 days.
- After a person is removed from the network, the hospital will not be able to see any medical information about the patient that may exist in other medical institutions:
- If a person who has removed himself from the network arrives in the hospital for treatment, the care provider in the hospital will get a message that the hospital can not receive medical information about this person from other sources.
- The person is obligated to share and provide to his/her care givers all of his/her medical information (previous hospitalizations and surgeries, medication he/she is taking, allergies, test results, etc).
- In these situations, the only transfer of information that is allowed between the medical entities is the patient hospital visit summary that is provided by the hospital to the covering health plan (in the same way that a paper copy used to be transferred).
Request to Return to the Health Information Exchange Network
- One who has left the network and is interested in returning and being included in it can submit a request to be reinstated into the network.
- It is possible to fill out the forms to be reinstated in English, Russian, and Arabic.
- The request should be submitted to your health fund branch.
- Soldiers interested in being reinstated to the information network should contact Mikol HaLev.
- The request should take affect within 30 days from when it was submitted.
- After the request is completely process, the relevant care givers are able to see the medical information that is available at other institutions, including information that happened while the patient was not included in the network.
- Questions and Answers regarding sharing medical information from the Ministry of Health website.
- English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.