Accommodations for patients with Alzheimer's and dementia have been made on the Determining Long-Term Care Benefit Eligibility (ADL Dependence Test),
Patients with mid-stage dementia are currently eligible to receive 2.5 points to cover the need for partial supervision.

In the past few years changes were made to the Long-Term Care Benefit eligibility assessment in order accomodate early stage dementia patients and other patients with moderate coginitive decline that previously were not eligible to receive aid for supervision.

  • In many cases, those with Alzheimer's are able to perform the activities of daily living (ADL) - including getting dressed, bathing and eating - when they are asked to do so, but have trouble initiating the performance of such activities themselves.
  • They also may forget to take medications, to eat, or to take food off the stove, and sometimes may leave the house without knowing where or how to return.
  • The new examination form accommodates these moderate stage patients.
  • The assessors come to the patients' homes in order to perform the dependence test and are instructed to note difficulties stemming from moderate dementia.
  • For a patient with cognitive decline, the test is done in the presence of a family member or person who is part of the patient's daily life.
  • The dependence examination form now accounts for the cognitive decline and takes those signs into account when calculating the points.
  • Questions that estimate the patient's supervision needs have been added to the form. Click here to view a sample of the new dependence test form.
  • There is now the option of receiving 2.5 points for part-time supervision. This option is intended for people who have cognitive decline who can be without supervision for part of the day without endangering themselves or others, but who do need some assistance during the day.
  • The process of receiving the Long-Term Care Benefit is outlined in the following chart:
Determining Dependence Level
by the claim clerk
Approval of a Temporary Benefit
or a permanent benefit at one of the Long-Term Care Benefit levels
Rejection of the claim
If the condition of someone who is receives a level 1-5 (or level A or B according to the old law) benefit worsens, it is possible to request reassessment

Court Rulings

Aid Organizations

Government Agencies

Government Agency Website Rights and Areas of Responsibility
*6050 hotlines - The National Insurance Institute Senior Citizens' Rights on the National Insurance Institute's website. Rights to various allowances given based on age and economic situation.
*9696 hotline - The National Insurance Institute's Call Center for Senior Citizen Counseling Services Senior Citizens' Rights on the National Insurance Institute's website. Free aid provided through counseling services for senior citizens and the call center for senior citizens and their families.
*8840 Ministry for Social Equality - Hotline for Public Inquiries Ministry for Social Equality website The *8840 hotline run by the Ministry for Social Equality gives the elderly a central address to direct all of their questions, provide information regarding rights, services and benefits entitled to the elderly. It also helps them actualize these rights.
Segula Unit - Hotline to help senior citizens in the hospital The Ministry for Social Equality A health hotline for senior citizens, to assist them and their families know their rights during the period of hospitalization.
The Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services

Shil - Citizens Advice Service hotline - 118

Senior Citizens on the Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services website Funding of Nursing Homes for independent and frail seniors. Various services are also provided within the community.
The Ministry of Health

*5400 "Kol HaBriut" Ministry of Health Hotline

Senior Health on the Ministry of Health website. Health Insurance and assistance for those suffering from age related health problems.
*5442 The Ministry of Housing and Construction Call Center The Ministry of Construction and Housing website Housing Assistance and Problem Solving for Senior Citizens

Laws and Regulations

Additional Publications