The absorption basket is financial assistance which is intended to help Olim during their initial settling in period in Israel. The assistance is given as living expenses during the period of study in Ulpan (6 months) and includes rent assistance for the first 12 months in Israel.
- The first absorption basket payment is given to Olim at the airport and the remainder is deposited in 6 monthly payments to the immigrant's bank account.
- For the amount of assistance based on the personal and family status of the Oleh, see the Table of Assistance Amounts of Absorption Basket on the Ministry of Immigration and Absorption website
Who is Eligible?
- Anyone who meets one of the following conditions:
- First entry into Israel on an Oleh's visa.
- He stayed in Israel for no longer than 24 months consecutively or cumulatively during the three years preceding the obtaining of the status of an Oleh or eligibility as an Oleh.
- These guidelines for eligibility are also relevant for a citizen Oleh and a returning minor (according to their definitions on the Ministry of Aliyah and Integration website
How to Claim It?
- The first payment from the absorption basket is given to Olim at the airport - part in cash and part by bank deposit.
- The balance of the grant is given in six monthly payments into the bank account of the Oleh -
- To do this the Oleh must open a bank account or a joint account for both Olim spouses in one of the banks (in the case of the opening of a joint bank account for both spouses - both of them must come to the bank in order to open the account).
- The details of the bank account must be given to the Ministry of Absorption. It is recommended to do so during one's first few days after arriving in Israel.
- It is preferable not to change the account number during the first years of your aliyah. An Oleh who is nevertheless forced to change the details of his bank account must report on such immediately to the Ministry of Absorption.
- In the event of any problem in receiving the monies of the absorption basket, one must directly approach the office of the Ministry of Absorption nearest to your place of residence.
- Once the 6 months have passed, assistance may be obtained for sustenance needs by means of [He:הבטחת הכנסה|Income Support]. The assistance for the financing of rent is included in the absorption basket.
Period of Eligibility for Receiving the Absorption Basket
- An Oleh is entitled to receive assistance in the absorption basket within one year from the date of receiving status an Oleh.
- Going overseas causes a stopping of the basket payments.
- In such a case the absorption basket payments will be renewed only for someone who has returned within the first year of aliyah.
- To do this you must contact the office of the Ministry of Absorption in the area of residence of the Oleh with an application to renew the payments and you must have a passport with a stamp of entry into Israel -
- List of Aid Organizations for Olim
- JDC Israel
- International Fellowship of Christians and Jews
- Aid Organizations for Olim in Jerusalem
- Aid Organizations for Olim in Maalot - Tarshicha
- MATI - Holon
- MATI - Netanya
- Selah - Israel Crisis Management Center - Center for Assisting Olim in Crisis
- Center for Food Security and the War against Hunger
- Gvanim Association
- For an extended list of aid organizations for Olim from Ethiopia Click here
- The Ministry of Aliyah and Immigrant Absorption- The ministry is responsible for assisting Olim in Israel, from the initial stages of getting organised up until the integration in all areas of life in Israeli society
- Student Administration for Olim
- Authority for Prisoners of Zion and Martyrs - in the Ministry of Aliyah and Immigrant Absorption.
- The Jewish Agency - Service Center for Olim - on the Jewish Agency website
- Ministry of Education
- National Insurance Institute
- Assistance for New Immigrants and Returning Residents on the Government Information and Services website
- Tax reform for Olim and returning residents on the Ministry of Immigration and Absorption website
- Guide for New Immigrants (in Hebrew) on the Ministry of Immigration and Absorption website
- Eligibility Guide for Citizenship in Israel on the Government Information and Services website
- Calculating Financial Assistance for New Immigrants on the Ministry of Immigration and Absorption website
- National Conversion Program on the Prime Minister's Office website