A child with celiac is able to participate in all educational activities in accordance with his/her limitations.
- Educational institutions that provide food (including those that serve a daily meal during a long school day) need to ensure that there is food that meets the students' needs.
- The educational institution is responsible for making sure that every educational activity involving food or materials with gluten has an appropriate alternative.
- The educational institution is responsible for making sure there are alternatives to art projects and special projects such as cake and challah baking etc.
- The educational institution is responsible to make sure that appropriate food is provided during all special programs that take place outside of the school, such as on trips. For more information see Accommodations to integrate students with disabilities into trips and activities that take place outside of the school.
- Food portions for students with celiac must be wrapped in a different color and marked clearly and distinctively. This is in accordance with the Ministry of Education Director's circular from 04.04.2016 - food and nutritional education in educational institutions (section 8.2).
Who is Eligible?
- Children who suffer from celiac disease that are in educational institutions.
How to Claim It?
- Parents need to fill out a form regarding the health of their children who are in school and note the medical condition of their child.
- Confirmation from a doctor regarding the child's medical situation may be requested in some cases.
- The Ministry of Education established guidelines for cases where children are hypersensitive to certain types of foods (milk, eggs, nuts, soy, sesame, nuts, fish and others). For more information see Accommodations in educational institutions and after school programs for children who suffer from food allergies.
Laws and Regulations
- Ministry of Education Director's circular from 01.03.2015 - Students with Celiac
- Ministry of Education Director's circular from 04.04.2016 - food and nutritional education in educational institutions (section 8.2).
- Ministry of Education Director's circular from 27.08.2013 - parents' statement regarding the health of their children.
English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.