A woman that is eligible for a Maternity Grant and is evacuated to a hospital by ambulance is entitled to full coverage of the ambulance costs by the National Insurance Institute, provided that she gives birth within 72 hours.
- A woman who gave birth at home is entitled to funding for MDA ambulance transportation if she is evacuated within 24 hours of birth and is hospitalized for at least 12 hours.
Who is Eligible?
- A woman who meets all of the following conditions:
- She is eligible for a Maternity Grant.
- She is evacuated to the nearest hospital.
- She gave birth at the hospital within 72 hours of being transported by the ambulance. For a home birth she was transferred to the hospital within 24 hours of given birth and hospitalized for at least 12 hours.
How to Claim It?
- The National Insurance Institute will pay Magen David Adom (MDA) directly:
- If the woman gives birth within 24 hours of the evacuation
- MDA will report the evacuation and settle financial matters directly with the National Insurance Institute.
- If the woman gives birth more than 24 hours after the evacuation and within 72 hours
- The mother must go to her health plan branch with the letter of financial obligation received from MDA and the health plan will settle financial matters with the National Insurance Institute.
- It is always recommended to follow up with MDA and the National Insurance Institute to ensure that payment was properly transferred and to avoid unnecessary expenses.
- There are other cases where a full or partial reimbursement of ambulance evacuation costs will be provided. For more information, see: Funding of Ambulance Evacuation Costs.
- For a list of organizations that aid with pregnancy and childbirth
- For a general list of health related aid organizations
- For more information see the National Insurance Institute's English website
- Ambulance Services During Labor on the Society for Patients Rights in Israel's website
- Original information written by the Mazor Clinical Center - Providing Legal Advice Regarding Patients Rights in Israel.
- English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.