Those who have applied for a General Disability Pension and have appeared before the General Disability Medical Committee are able to appeal against the committee's decision regarding the rate of medical disability and the date of the start of disability.
- The appeal is heard before a medical board of appeals of the National Insurance Institute, consisting of two or three doctors.
- The medical appeals committee may change the percentage of medical disability determined by the general disability medical committee. In other words, it may determine a higher or lower disability rate than that set by the general disability medical committee.
- The decision of the medical committee can be appealed on legal issues only to the Regional Labor Court.
- The process for disability benefits is not simple but also not very complicated. See the chart below and the steps in detail below.
Fast Track for Special Circumstances
and receiving a response in the mail
appeal the decision regarding incapacity to function
resubmit a claim
For more information on how to get help, see, Free Assistance in Disability Claims from the National Insurance Institute.
Target Audience and Prerequisites
- One who has Submitted a Claim for Disability Pension and appeared before the General Disability Medical Committee and wishes to appeal the following decisions of the committee:
- The disability percentage rate - an appeal can be filed regarding this issue, only if one was established as less than 80% disability.
- The set start date for the commencement of the disability pension.
- One who has submitted, Submitting a Special Services Benefit (Attendance Allowance) Claim and their claim was rejected as the rate of disability was not high enough.
To Whom and How to Apply
Appealing to a Medical Appeals Committee
- A medical committee decision may be appealed within 60 days of receiving the written decision indicating the rate of disability from the National Insurance Institute. The National Insurance Institute will not reject appeals filed within 90 days, but it is advisable to file the appeal on the date set by law, whenever possible.
- Appeals should be submitted in writing throughwriting an appeal with the National Insurance Institute (Form 7810), and outline the reasons why the decision of the medical board should be changed.
- The appeal must be submitted in writing to the National Insurance Institute branch closest to the applicant's place of residence. Click here to locate the closest branch.
- Yad Mechavent provides free advice prior filing an appeal or toward to a hearing by a medical committee
The Medical Committee Appeals Process
- Medical appeals committee convened within 60 days from filing the application for the purpose of hearing the appeal.
- The committee is authorized to approve or change the percentage of disability following the filing of the appeal, and add or reduce the percentage of disability set by the medical committee general disability.
- It is recommended to arrive to the Commission with a companion. More information see accompanied by a medical committee of the National Insurance Institute.
- If necessary, one can arrive at the committee with a translator or an attorney authorized to represent the insured before the committee and speak on their behalf.
- One may ask not appear before the Committee during the hearing of the appeal - the application must be sent in the post by a therapist or by contacting the National Insurance Institute hotline on .
- Course of the Committee's Discussion:
- At the commencement of the committee, the committee members will be presented by the Secretary of the Commission by full title (in addition, the committee members are wearing identification tags).
- The claimant will be required to read the claims and sign them.
- After completion of displaying the committee members, filed an appeal on display and list the arguments which the appeal is based.
- Sometimes physical examination will be carried out in accordance with the decision of the doctor who sits on the committee.
- How they dress in a shirt or pants, an how they remove it;
- How they sit down on a chair and how they rise to a standing position;
- How they move from a lying down position to a sitting position or vice versa;
- The claimant may be required to fall down and get up, d demonstrate the ability to perform it independently.
- One may ask the committee to enter with a companion who will be present during the physical examination.
- One can request that the request the medical examination will be carried out only in the presence of the examining physician and the absence of the Secretary of the Commission.
- In the event that there is not a physical examination committee's decision will be based on medical documents in the case.
- The committee's decision will be sent to the claimant month after convening the committee.
Reducing the Percentage of the Disability Pension
- In the event that the Commission is considering to reduce the disability rate then:
- You may cancel your appeal and keep the percentage of disability as determined by the medical committee general disability:
- An obligation on the Commission to stop the debate and noted in the minutes of the committee.
- In the case when the claimant is not present at the hearing the committee will receive a letter announcing the halt debate on the possibility of reducing the percentage of disability and its possibility to withdraw the appeal.
- If the claimant wishes to withdraw the appeal must send a letter to the Department of committees and inform them.
Non- appearance before the Committee
- If the claimant that filed the appeal did not appear at the hearing before the commission on the fixed date, the Commission may decide the outcome of the appeal without the claimant being present and charge a fine.
- For more information see: Failure to Appear before the National Insurance Institute's Appeals Committee and Medical Committee.
Reimbursement of Expenses
- You can apply for reimbursement for expenses incurred due to the sitting of the Committee (transport, accommodation, finance and loss of working hours).
- For additional information see: [[:he:החזר הוצאות בעקבות התייצבות בוועדה רפואית של המוסד לביטוח לאומי| Reimbursement of Expenses following the sitting of the medical committee of the National Insurance Institute.
Continuing the Process
|What now?||Additional Details||Comments|
|If you are not satisfied with the decision of the Appeals Committee of the National Insurance Institute regarding medical committee can appeal (legal issues only) Regional Labor Court within 60 days||See: Appealing to the Regional Labor Court||You can request Free Legal Aid from the Legal Aid Department of the Ministry of Justice.|
|If you are not satisfied with the degree of incapacity set them, in some cases, you can appeal within 60 days of the decision claims officer.||Appealing a Decision relating to Disability||
|If you are not satisfied with the decision of the Appeals Committee regarding the determination of disability you can file an appeal with the Regional Labor Court (legal issues only) within 60 days.||You can requestfree legal aid from the Legal Aid Justice Ministry.|
|If you wish to appeal a decision of the claims officer not related to degree of incapacity (issues such as periods of your work, your age, your education, your revenue, etc.).||
|You can file a claim repeated after 6 months, or if there has been a deterioration in health - without a waiting period.||Reexamination of Disability Pension Eligibility|
Important to Note
- The appeal of the decision of the medical board general disability must be submitted within 60 days of receiving written notification from the NII regarding the percentage of disability. While NII does not reject the appeals filed within 90 days, but it is advisable to file the appeal on the date specified in the law as far as possible.
- English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.