If the long-term care allowance claim is denied, or a pension increase is partially approved, and the recipient believes the decision is unjustified, a appeal may be submitted.
Appeals regarding the level of dependence upon others or supervision necessary must be submitted to the appeals committee for the level of dependence.
Other appeals may be brought to the Regional Labor Court.Free legal aid is available to those appealing a National Insurance Institute decision.
Matters that are not regarding the level of dependence can also be appealed and discussed at the claims commission.

Those who have submitted a Long-Term Care Benefit claim and are not satisfied with the National Insurance Institute's decision (whether the claim has been completely rejected or if only a partial benefit was approved) are entitled to appeal the decision.

Target Audience and Prerequisites

Stages of the Process

  • Appeals regarding the decision about the level of dependence from the dependency test, should be directed to the appeals committee.
  • Appeals concerning the decision of the appeal committee regarding the level of independence, should be submitted to the regional labor courts, within 6 months of the date on which the notification of the decision was sent to the claimant.
  • Appeals that do not concern the ADL level of dependence, must be submitted to the Regional Labor Court withing 12 months of the date on which the notification was sent to the claimant.
  • For additional details about appealing to the Regional Labor courts see Appealing a National Insurance Institute Decision.

Legal Aid

  • The Ministry of Justice's Legal Aid Division provide free legal aid for those interested in appealing a National Insurance Institute decision to the labor court.
  • This free legal aid is not dependent on meeting any type of economic criteria.

Contacting the Claims Committee

  • An individual whose claim has been rejected by the claims clerk may also contact (regarding matters not connected to functioning level) the claims committee, which will discuss the decision to reject.
  • The claims committee may serve as a substitute, or preliminary stage (depending on the results) to an appeal before the regional labor courts. for more details, see: Claims Committee for a Further Ruling on a Claim to the National Insurance Institute.

Appealing the Benefit Service Package

Court Rulings

Aid Organizations

Government Agencies

Government Agency Website Rights and Areas of Responsibility
*6050 hotlines - The National Insurance Institute Senior Citizens' Rights on the National Insurance Institute's website. Rights to various allowances given based on age and economic situation.
*9696 hotline - The National Insurance Institute's Call Center for Senior Citizen Counseling Services Senior Citizens' Rights on the National Insurance Institute's website. Free aid provided through counseling services for senior citizens and the call center for senior citizens and their families.
*8840 Ministry for Social Equality - Hotline for Public Inquiries Ministry for Social Equality website The ‎*8840 hotline run by the Ministry for Social Equality gives the elderly a central address to direct all of their questions, provide information regarding rights, services and benefits entitled to the elderly. It also helps them actualize these rights.
Segula Unit - Hotline to help senior citizens in the hospital The Ministry for Social Equality A health hotline for senior citizens, to assist them and their families know their rights during the period of hospitalization.
The Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services

Shil - Citizens Advice Service hotline - 118

Senior Citizens on the Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services website Funding of Nursing Homes for independent and frail seniors. Various services are also provided within the community.
The Ministry of Health

*5400 "Kol HaBriut" Ministry of Health Hotline

Senior Health on the Ministry of Health website. Health Insurance and assistance for those suffering from age related health problems.
*5442 The Ministry of Housing and Construction Call Center The Ministry of Construction and Housing website Housing Assistance and Problem Solving for Senior Citizens

Laws and Regulations