The Ministry of Construction and Housing provides financial assistance to perform housing modifications and living conditions for people with limited mobility
The assistance is given, based on each individual case, either through a combined grant and loan or entirely through a loan. Residents living in public housing receive a complete grant.
Assistance of up to 65,000 NIS may be provided towards interior and exterior housing modifications
Assistance of up to 130,000 NIS may be provided towards installation of a wheelchair lift

Expansion of this right to include disabled IDF veterans, workplace injuries, victims of hostile actions and car accident injuries.
Currently IDF disabled veterans that are recognized by the Ministry of Defense, workplace injuries or victims of hostile actions recognized by the National Insurance Institute, or car accident victims that are recognized by insurance agencies or other bodies, are eligible for this benefit (as long as they are not getting housing modification assistance from a different entity that recognizes their disability).

The Ministry of Construction and Housing provides financial assistance for those with limited mobility for housing modifications or renovations which are necessary to allow for better functioning and mobility in and access to, the home.

Assistance Details

  • Among other things the assistance can include: the widening of doorways to make them accessible for wheelchairs, changes in the bathroom, modifications in the kitchen, the building of paths which provide accessibility to the home (ramps) and the installation of handrails, supports and wheelchair lifts.
  • A complete list of items and modifications can be found in the Addendum * of the Assistance Guidelines.
  • The assistance is provided in addition to all other assistance for which the recipient may be eligible in accordance with other Ministry of Construction and Housing assistance programs.
  • The assistance is comprised of grants and loans. The loan rates are: indexing + 4% interest for a period of 28 years.
  • Residents of public housing are entitled to a full grant for the modifications. In all other cases, the assistance is divided into four levels and is comprised either of a mixed grant-loan, or just a loan:
Grant amount Loan amount
90% 10%
60% 40%
30% 70%
0% 100%
  • The form of the assistance is determined according to the number of people living in the home, the number of rooms in the home and each family member's income. For residents of public housing, the grant is provided regardless of the number of rooms or income.
  • For more information on the levels of assistance in specific situations, see the Ministry of Construction and Housing website.
  • The following chart outlines the process for assistance in funding assistance.

Who is Eligible?

  • Assistance is entitled to those who have been established by a recognized medical institution (a hospital, insurance fun, and government rehabilitation frameworks) as one or more of the following:
    • Those whose movement and/or functioning is limited as the result of illness or injury to the motor system.
    • Those who are in the advanced stages of an illness (wheelchair bound, walk with the assistance of a prosthesis, walking device, crutches, etc.).
  • If the disabled person or his family member (who is also his caregiver) switches to work in a different city and the following two conditions apply:
    • The Inter-Departmental Committee found that they are required to move their place of residence, as well.
    • Their new home does not meet their special needs and impacts their ability to function normally in daily life.
  • Those who have previously received this type of assistance, if their condition has worsened and if, as a result of their disability, modifications must be performed in their current or future residence, in accordance with a rehabilitation worker report.
  • Those recognized by the following bodies will be eligible to assistance from the Ministry of Construction and Housing, on condition that it has been established that they don't receive housing improvement assistance from the bodies that recognize their disabilities:
  • Assistance installing a wheelchair lift will be provided if the applicant lived in the home before requiring a wheelchair, and only if the wheelchair lift provides the sole solution to problems related to mobility in that home.

Who is Not Eligible?

  • Anyone owning a home, but requesting to modify a relative's home.
  • Anyone requesting assistance expanding or building a home.
  • Anyone whose home had been modified before submitting the request whose condition then deteriorated.
  • Anyone owning more than one home.
  • Anyone living in a private monthly rental.
  • IDF disabled veterans recognized as such by the Ministry of Defense that are eligible for housing improvement assistance from the Ministry of Defense.
  • Work accident victims recognized as such by the National Insurance Institute that are eligible for housing improvement assistance from the National Insurance Institute (for additional information see Housing Modification Grant for Work Injury Victims).
  • Victims of hostile acts recognized as such by the National Insurance Institute that are eligible for housing improvement assistance from the National Insurance Institute.
  • Road accident victims that receive housing improvement assistance from the insurance companies.

Acceptable Types of Housing

  • Those who meet one of the relevant criteria described above will be entitled to the assistance, as long as they live in one of the following types of housing in which they plan to perform the modifications:
    • A home which they own
    • A key money property
    • A home rented in public housing
    • A home on a kibbutz or moshav
    • A home belonging to a first-degree relative (child, parent, sibling, grandparent, or grandchild)

How to Claim It?

  • Requests for assistance in modifying an apartment should be submitted before changes / renovations / adjustments are made.

Submitting a Request

  • Residents of public housing must submit requests directly to the Ministry of Construction and Housing. No proof of income is required. The recommendation letter for modifications will be sent directly from the occupational therapist to the housing company.
  • In all other cases requests should go through the person's family doctor in his/her health fund (Kupat Cholim). The family doctor will send a request to the appropriate branch in the health fund that will arrange a home visit to the applicant's home by a therapist or rehabilitation worker.
  • In special cases where the modifications must be completed quickly, the applicant should contact the Ministry of Health's social worker who will assess the case and get approval in coordination with the Housing Ministry.
  • The requests will be sent by a social worker in the Ministry of Health's chronic illness department to the Housing Ministry to complete the process.
  • Requests must be submitted on a special form for requests for assistance to improve housing accommodations for people with limited mobility. The applicant must fill out and sign 2 copies of the request form. You can get the form from the Ministry of Health social worker.
  • The following documents must be attached to the request (two copies must be submitted - an original and a photocopy):

Necessary Documents

Necessary Document Description Comments
Photocopies of national ID cards (תעודות הזהות) For the applicant and family members living with the applicant.
Property tax documentation including lot and block number. Information regarding the applicant's property rights The documents should be sent by fax
Proof of income for family members living in the home for the 3 months preceding the application submission, *Includes bank printouts
  • Documentation of benefits, salary, pension, and any other income.
*If the applicant lives in public housing, proof of income is not required.
  • If the applicant is an adult with limited mobility who lives with a first-degree relative (child, parent, sibling, grandparent, or grandchild), only the applicant's income will be considered, and not family members' income.
Medical documentation from a recognized medical facility Certification from a specialist doctor at a hospital/health plan or an administrative doctor at a rehabilitation facility detailing the applicant's condition and functioning capacity.
Professional recommendation regarding the specific circumstances Recommendation from an occupational therapist, rehabilitation worker or public health nurse detailing the required modifications to make the home suitable for the applicant's needs
Social work report A social work report referring to the impact of the current housing accommodations on the applicant's personal, familial and social functioning capacity, as well as the rehabilitation plan, if applicable.
A detailed price estimate A price estimate given within 90 days prior to submission of the request including:
  • Contractor's details
  • Applicant's detail
  • Details of the modifications based on the the occupational therapist's recommendation
  • Dimensions, quantities and price of every item.
*If the request is for modifications related to building access, the estimate must include the length of the access path, the width of the access path and the relevant differences in height.
  • In a case where the modifications are requested in public housing apartment and do not include a ma'alon (chairlift), a price estimate from the housing company is sufficient and there is no need for a verify the propriety of the work.
Applicant's Commitment Commitment from the applicant that the grant will only be used to perform the approved modifications.

Specific Documents

In many cases specific documents are also required:

Specific Requirements Necessary Documents
If the applicant requires a wheelchair Documentation from the Ministry of Health indicating this.
If the necessary modifications will be done the family members' home where the applicant lives These family members must provide a commitment that the grant will only be used to perform the approved modification
If a wheel chair lift is necessary
  • Two price estimates from two different suppliers that have a Standards Association Stamp (tav teken).
  • Approval from the Ministry of Health indicating that the applicant is eligible to receive financial assistance towards the purchase of a wheelchair.
If building a ramp is necessary An opinion from a district technical department representative confirming that the plan for ramp meets the standards.
For homeless applicants requesting modifications to a first-degree relative’s residence The applicant must proviide a [signed affidavit which indicates that they will be barred from having their eligibility for public housing be reviewed for 4 years from receiving the assistance.
If some of the requested modifications take place, even partially, in public areas (such as requests for wheel-chair lifts and ramps) A building permit or affidavit that was presented before a lawyer, stating that any external parties were checked with and the applicant does not need approval to do the work.
If the assistance required is greater than the maximum grant amount A professional opinion from a Ministry of Health technical department representative and the Ministry of Construction and Housing regarding the cost of the modifications after the representative visited the site.
If the applicant is a disabled IDF veteran or a disabled Ministry of Defense veteran who is not eligible to housing improvements through the Ministry of Defense Confirmation from the rehabilitation department that the applicant is not, and has not been, eligible for housing improvements through the rehabilitation department
If the applicant is a work accident victim who is recognized by the National Insurance Institute to have a disability above 65% and he/she is not eligible for housing improvements through the National Insurance Institute The decision by the National Insurance Institute that the applicant is not, and has not been, eligible for assistance in housing improvements from the National Insurance Institute (Those who have a disability of 65% and lower are not eligible for financing from the National Insurance Institute and therefore do not need this certification.)
If the applicant is a hostile act victim who was not found eligible for housing improvements through the National Insurance Institute. The decision by the National Insurance Institute that the applicant is not, and has not been, eligible for assistance in housing improvements from the National Insurance Institute
If the applicant is a road accident victim that receives assistance from an insurance company. Confirmation from the insurance company that the applicant does not receive compensation or assistance from the insurance company for housing improvements.

Inter-Departmental Committee Decision

  • The Ministry of Health's social worker will submit the request and relevant documents to the Ministry of Construction and Housing. A joint committee of the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Construction and Housing will evaluate the request ("the inter-departmental committee").
  • The inter-departmental committee will evaluate the request and determine the amount and method of assistance (part grant and part loan or full loan).
  • Following this review, applicants will receive a letter indicating if the committee has found them to be eligible or ineligible to receive the assistance.
  • Those who are found to be ineligible will receive an explanation for denial of the request from the social worker.
  • Committee decisions may be appealed.

Receiving the Financial Aid

  • Those who are found to be eligible for assistance will receive a certificate of eligibility to receive housing assistance in the mail, which will include the approved loan amount.
  • The eligibility certificate is valid for six months from the date of issue.
  • An eligible person can receive the loan through any mortgage bank of his/her choice.
  • Upon presenting the certificate of eligibility to the bank, the person can receive up to 50% of the aid amount, in exchange for his/her guarantee to complete the work within 6 months.
  • After the social worker/rehabilitation officer is satisfied that the work is done completely the eligible person will receive the rest of the assistance he/she was granted for the modifications.

Consent of Tenants for External Housing Modifications in a Jointly Owned Building

  • When exterior modifications of the apartment are required, and the apartment is part of a [[he:בית משותף|jointly owned building ("bayit meshutaf")], it is important to pay attention to the fact that some modifications require the consent of a majority of tenants (in certain cases a basic majority and in certain cases a special majority). There are some modifications that do not require the consent of others.
  • Installation of a wheelchair lift requires the consent of the majority of the building's homeowners.
  • Installation of an elevator requires the consent of 2/3 of the building's homeowners.
  • In order to modify a specific parking spot or prepare an area to use as a parking spot consent of 60% of the building's homeowners is required.
  • Modifications to the applicant's parking spot does not require consent of the rest of the homeowners.
  • For a complete list of modifications that require the homeowners' consent see Housing Modifications for the Disabled in a Jointly Owned Building that Require Consent of the other Homeowners.
  • If the Land Registry supervisor finds that a homeowner opposes the performance of modifications for reasons that are unreasonable, or makes his/her consent conditional on something which is unreasonable, the lands supervisor is permitted to consent to the modifications instead of that homeowner.
  • For more information see Housing Modifications for People with Disabilities Living in a Jointly Owned Building.
  • Aid Organizations

    • Click here for a comprehensive categorized listing of organizations providing assistance related to housing.
    • Click here for a comprehensive categorized listing of aid organizations offering assistance and support for people with disabilities.

    Government Agencies

    Laws and Regulations

    Additional Publications