The Ministry of Health provides financial assistance towards the purchase of mobility devices. The assistance is for 90% of the established price, or the established subsidy ceiling, according to the type of device
A Ministry of Health office should be contacted before purchasing a device
Beginning 01.04.2017, full funding will be provided to fix all manual mobility devices, the same way funding has been provided for electric mobility devices (see details below)
For more information, see "Assistance Funding Rehabilitation and Ambulatory Assistance Devices" on the Ministry of Health's English website

The Ministry of Health provides financial assistance towards the purchase of rehabilitation, mobility (ambulatory) and walking devices.

  • This page provides information about assistance purchasing mobility devices.
  • As of 01.01.2013, the purchase assistance is 90% of the the established price, or the established subsidy ceiling (whichever is lower) according to the type of device (this update is only for mobility devices, the contribution was previously 75%).
  • The funding is provided according to two categories of devices:
    • Devices for which a maximum sum has been established (which is not the full price of the device).
    • Devices for which 3 price quotes must be obtained and the price will then be established according to the lowest quote.
  • As of 01.01.2013, the recipient co-payment is 10% of the the price established by the Ministry of Health (it was previously 25%).
  • As of 2014 it is also possible to receive funding for standers (amidonim) for children and young people up to the age of 21. For additional details, see Funding of Standers (amidonim) for Children and Young People.

Who is Eligible?

  • Those with a permanent disability who require a mobility device and live in the community (meaning they are not hospitalized in any type of long-term/rehabilitation framework).
  • Minors without legal status who have health insurance for non-resident children in Israel are entitled to the same assistance as minors who are residents.

Who is Not Eligible?

Exemption From Co-Payments

List of Mobility Devices

  • The devices included in accordance with the third addendum to The National Health Insurance Law are:
    • Manual wheelchairs
    • Buggies
    • Buggy pushchairs
    • Motorized wheelchairs
    • Toilet wheelchairs
    • Special cushions for wheelchairs
    • Inserts (seating systems) for wheelchairs
    • Complete Fowler, hi-low, hydraulic and electric beds
    • Electric air mattresses (standard) for reducing the risk of bedsores
    • Home lifts - electric and hydraulic
    • Posterior walkers
    • Rollators
    • Forearm walkers
    • Forearm crutches
    • Stair climbing aids to be attached to a wheelchair/mobile stair elevators - in special cases

Fully-Funded Devices for Benefit Recipients

  • The following devices are only funded for recipients of the benefits detailed above (a co-payments are not required):
    • Regular walkers
    • Various walking sticks
    • Foam cushions to prevent bedsores
    • Standard foam mattresses ("egg crates")

How to Claim It?

  • The patient must contact the family physician at the health plan (children studying in special education institutions may apply via the institution).
  • The family physician or specialist will forward the application to a physical therapist or occupational therapist (authorized to provide a recommendation), in order to evaluate the eligibility for funding of the device.
  • The professional authorities at the health plan will instruct the patient regarding the forms to be submitted and the procedure for applying to the Ministry of Health.
  • The following documents are required:
    • Up-to-date medical/nursing report, signed by a physician and a nurse.
    • Details and/or a recommendation from a physical therapist or occupational therapist from the insuring health plan.
    • Social work report, signed by a social worker (in all cases involving motorized/electric mobility devices or if required by the Ministry of Health office).
    • Photocopy of ID (teudat zehut)
  • The documents may be submitted to the Ministry of Health office by the health plan or by the patient/an authorized representative of the patient.
  • The request, along with the required documentation, must be submitted to the devices coordinator in the department of protracted diseases and rehabilitation in the closest Ministry of Health office.
  • The forms may be submitted during the department’s opening hours, by mail or by fax.
  • A local committee will discuss each request which it is authorized to discuss (either approving or rejecting it), and a written response will be sent to the applicant.
  • Complex devices (electric beds, motorized wheelchairs, manual wheelchairs with detachable power drives, electric lifts, etc.) are sent for the review of a district committee.
  • Instructions regarding the rest of the process will be detailed in the written response to those whose request has been approved.
  • Someone who received approval to purchase the device on his own should send the following documents to the Ministry of Health in order to receive his cash refund:
    • Approval Certificate
    • Form showing that the device was received (signed)
    • Original invoice and reciept
    • Bank account details fin order for the refund to be send via a bank transfer (this can be provided through a photocopy of a canceled check)-->


  • Those whose application for assistance has been rejected may appeal the committee's decision
  • The appeal should be sent in writing to the Ministry of Health office.
  • The appeal committee's deliberations will take place within 30 days of receiving the appeal and it's handling by the Ministry of Health office.

Assistance Repairing Motorized Mobility Devices

  • The Ministry of Health provides financial assistance for repairing mobility devices after the warranties provided by the supplier have expired.
  • Beginning 01.04.2017, all populations can receive full funding on repairs for manual mobility devices (such as manual wheelchairs and bathroom wheelchairs) in the same way that they have received full funding for the repair of electric mobility devices. For further information see the Medical Administration Circular from 04.05.2017.
  • The ministry is entitled to demand participation in the payment of repairs that are caused by negligence, unreasonable use or use in contrast to the guidelines provided by the manufacturer, provider or Ministry of Health.
  • Mobility devices provided until 2014:
    • One should not turn directly to the providers for repair services after the warranty period has expired.
    • If a repair is necessary one should turn to the "Kol Ha'Briut" hotline 08-624-1010 or *5400.
    • The majority of the repairs will be done by the National Unit for Rehabilitation and Mobility Equipment.
  • Mobility devices provided from 2014 and on:
    • For devices provided by licensed provided (by the center), you should turn directly the the licensed provider who provided you with the device.

Returning Devices After Use

  • The following devices must be returned to the Ministry of Health office after use:
    • Manual wheelchairs (all types)
    • Toilet wheelchairs
    • Motorized wheelchairs
    • Hand-powered wheelchairs with detachable power drive
    • Buggies
    • Beds
    • Lifts
    • Stair climbing aids to be attached to a wheelchair/mobile stair elevators
    • Rollators
  • Upon receiving the device, the patient and an additional co-signer (or just a co-signer) must sign a liability form and a promissory note, ensuring that the device will be returned after use.

Please Note

  • Approval of funding for a device is valid for half a year.
  • When necessary, the details of the patient's functioning and medical conditions included in the recommendation approved by the Ministry of Health are sometimes disclosed to potential suppliers in order to obtain a price quote. Those who wish to keep specific or all health-related information confidential during this process should contact their nearest Ministry of Health office.

Aid Organizations

Government Agencies

Laws and Regulations