The Ministry of Health provides funding towards rehabilitation devices for the blind and visually impaired
The amount funded is 75% of the established cost of the specific device
For more information, see the Ministry of Health's English website

The Ministry of Health provides funding for rehabilitation devices for the blind and visually impaired.

  • The amount funded is 75% of the price established according to the type of device, corresponding to one of the following two groups:
  1. Devices for which a maximum amount has been determined (that is not the full price of the device).
  2. Devices for which 3 price quotes must be obtained, and the price funded is determined according to the lowest quote.
  • The co-payment is 25% of the amount established by the Ministry of Health.
  • The following are exempt from co-payments (required documentation must be submitted):
  • Individuals who have difficulty paying the co-payment may contact a Ministry of Health social worker with proof of income for both spouses (pay slips for salary/pension/benefit, tax assessor documentation for the self-employed, and any other required documentation).
  • The social worker may increase the Ministry of Health's funding to up to 90% of the cost of a device in the following cases:
    • If another device was purchased within the same year.
    • If there are other family members entitled to financial assistance for the purchase of a device within the same year.
    • If within the same year, the applicant had other expenses related to the disability for which no financial assistance was received from any source.
    • If the family pays for a child or other first-degree relative to be in an institution.

List of Rehabilitation Devices

  • The list of devices, which was established in the third addition to the National Health Insurance Law, include:
    • Prosthetic eyes - For all ages. As of 2012, the funding is also for scleral prosthesis.
    • Assistive devices (telescopic and microscopic eyeglasses) for children and youth up to age 18.
    • Contact lenses for children and youth up to age 18, in cases where eyeglasses do not help (including scleral contact lenses).

How to Claim It?

  • A professional recommendation must be obtained from an eye doctor.
  • Directions regarding the process of submitting a request to the Ministry of Health and information about which documents must be submitted with a request may be obtained from the health plans.
  • The signed medical report from the eye doctor and a photocopy of the applicant's identification card (teudat zehut) must be attached to the request.
  • The applicant or an authorized representative may submit the request directly to a Ministry of Health office or through the health plan.
  • Requests are submitted to the coordinator in the department responsible for chronic illness and rehabilitation in the Ministry of Health office closest to the applicant's place of residence.
  • Documentation may be submitted to the office during public reception hours or by mail, or fax.
  • A local committee will make a decision regarding the request, and the committee's written decision (approval or rejection of the request) will be sent to the applicant's home.
  • Instructions regarding the rest of the process will be included with the written decision if the request has been approved.


  • Someone whose request has been rejected by the committee may appeal the decision within 30 days of receiving the decision from the Ministry of Health office.
  • The appeal will be sent to an exceptions committee by the Ministry of Health office.

Additional Publications