New Immigrants (olim) holding a valid Oleh's certificate who are defined as being homeless, may be eligible for assistance in buying an apartment for a period of 15 years from the day they immigrated to Israel
The amount of the mortgage is determined according to age, family status and years in Israel
For questions and clarifications see the contact info regarding mortgages page and the the Ministry of Aliyah and Immigrant Absorption *2994
For additional information see the Ministry of Aliyah and Immigrant Absorption website and the Ministry of Construction and Housing website
New Immigrants (olim) holding a valid Oleh's certificate who are defined as being homeless, may be eligible for assistance in buying an apartment for a period of 15 years from the day they immigrated to Israel.
Who is Eligible?
- Families, Single parent families and individuals holding a valid Oleh's certificate who are defined as being homeless.
- Following government decision No. 4433, the period of eligibility for someone who has made aliyah to Israel from 01.11.1997 and onwards has been extended from 10 to 15 years from the date of aliyah. For details see the notice of the Ministry of Construction and Housing.
How to Claim It?
Issuing of a Certificate of Eligibility
- Receiving housing assistance is conditional on presenting a valid certificate of eligibility from the Ministry of Construction and Housing and the Ministry of Absorption and Immigration.
- All family members registered in the same Oleh certificate and requesting joint housing assistance will be recorded in the certificate.
- A certificate of eligibility is issued for a given period of time, usually for one year only, and subject to the period of eligibility as an Oleh.
- For the issuing of a certificate of eligibility, you must contact one of the mortgage banks and present the following documents:
- Oleh's certificate
- Identity card
- Confirmation of service in the IDF
- For families - a marriage certificate
- For further information on the issuing of a certificate of eligibility, see Issuing a Certificate for Mortgage.
The Extent of the Mortgage
- The extent of the mortgage is contingent on the securities required by the bank according to the Bank of Israel guidelines regarding equity of at least 25% of the purchase cost of the home and the amount will be determined in accordance with the eligible points as detailed below:
- Families in the first year of their aliyah will receive assistance (automatic points) at the rate of at least 1700 points.
- Families in the in Israel for more than one year will receive assistance (according to automatic points) at the rate of at least 1800.
- In addition, families may be eligible for further assistance according to their situation.
- For further information on assistance to families of Olim, see the Ministry of Construction and Housing website.
- Individual olim from the age of 21 old and older are eligible for a secured loan (in accordance with the automatic points) at the rate of 600 points plus points according to their situation.
- Single Olim older than 45 years old will receive an additional 400 points.
- In any event, the total points for an individual will not be greater than 1690 points.
- For further information on assistance to individual Olim, see the Ministry of Construction and Housing website.
- A senior citizen and an oleh living together will accumulate points according to the seniority of the oleh in Israel and their number of children, in addition to a fixed eligibility of 700 points.
- If the oleh is 45 years or older - an additional 400 points will be given.
- Single parent families are automatically eligible for additional points which varies in accordance with their seniority in Israel and the length of time they have been “single-parent” families. For more information see Assistance for Single Parents in Buying an Apartment (Mortgage).
- Olim who have served in the IDF in regular service (Sherut Sadir) or National Service (Sherut Leumi) are eligible for assistance in accordance with the number of months of service.
- Olim will be given the possibility of join in the purchase of an apartment together with their relatives in the first degree. Those joining in will be eligible for 80% of the mortgage amount in accordance with their points.
- Click here for a chart that shows the basic mortgage amount based on the number of points on the Ministry of Construction and Housing website (see "points establish the basic mortgage at the bottom of the page, below the chart that relates to older families).
- Someone who meets one of the following conditions is entitled to receive for 200 additional points:
- A blind person who permanently holds a Certificate of Blindness/Visual Impairment.
- Someone who has certification from the National Insurance Institute/the Ministry of Health/the Ministry of Defense, proving that he/she has, an established disability of at least 75%, an established incapacity of at least 75% or limited mobility of at least 75%.
- In every case there is also a minimum amount of points given:
- In these cases, individuals will not receive less than 1,500 or more than 1,890 points.
- Families in these cases will not receive less than 1,900 points.
- Families that have 2 disabled persons who meet one of these qualifications or have a person that has 100% permanent disability - as determined by the Ministry of Health Central Office - and he/she is permanently wheelchair bound, are entitled to 2,200 points.
- An individual who has 100% permanent disability - as determined by the Ministry of Health Central Office - and is permanently wheelchair bound, is entitled to 2,000 points.
- For a list of aid organizations providing assistance in the housing realm
- For a list of aid organizations providing assistance to Olim
- Tips for those finding it difficult with mortgage repayments may be found on the website of the Ministry of Construction and Housing -
- Purchasing an Apartment in the Private Market at the website of the Ministry of Aliyah and Immigrant Absorption].
- Translation by The Shira Pransky Project