The special Ministry of Education centers are professional facilities specializing in therapy, education and rehabilitation for schoolchildren with hearing loss. These centers operate in cooperation with the Ministry of Education and organizations that provide assistance to the hearing impaired:
- Pre-primary education:
- MICHA Center: Beit Sherman, Reading St. 23, Ramat Aviv, Tel Aviv 69024
- Telephone/Fax: 03-6994185, Email: SOCIETY@MICGATA.ORG.IL
- Primary, middle and high school education:
- Shema Center: Beit Shema, Plitei Hasfar St. 30, Tel Aviv 67948
- Telephone: 03-5715656/7/8/9, Fax: 03-5712017
- Religious and ultra-orthodox education:
- Shmaya Center: Sorotzkin St. 9, Bnei Brak
- Mailing Address: PO Box 2729, Bnei Brak
- Telephone/Fax: 03-5783410, Email: SHMAYA1@012.NET.IL
- Shema Kolenu Center: Ovadia St. 34, corner of Amos 23, Jerusalem
- Telephone/Fax: 02-5002007/8, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Who is Eligible?
- Schoolchildren with hearing loss.
How to Claim It?
- The centers must be contacted directly. Applicants should have a relevant audiogram and an up-to-date professional medical opinion from an ear, nose and throat (ENT) doctor.
- Click here for information about the MICHA admission process.
- Click here for information about applying to the Shema Center.
Services Provided at the Centers
- Educational audiology services
- Hearing device lending services
- Tutoring and reinforcement learning
- Counseling and guidance
- Social education and rehabilitation (for problems of social isolation and alienation)
- Art therapy
- Parental guidance
- Information about hearing loss
The following organizations offer assistance to the deaf and hearing impaired:
- Beit MICHA - Society for Deaf Children
- MICHA Tel Aviv - Multidisciplinary Center for Children with Hearing Impairments
- MICHA Haifa and the North
- MICHA Jerusalem
- Shema - Center for Education and Rehabilitation of Hearing Impaired Children and Youth
- The Association of the Deaf in Israel
- The Institute for the Advancement of Deaf Persons in Israel
- The Beth David Institute - The Center for Deaf-Blind Persons
- The Optical Vision Foundation
- Mishaul - The Center for Supportive Communication and Rehabilitative Technology
- ASACH - The Israel Deaf Sports Organization
- Shemaya – Educational Program for the Hearing Impaired
- Shema Kolenu
- Give a Hand to the Deaf and Disabled
- AV Israel
- Signpedia - Israeli Sign Language Dictionary
- LISTEN – A Website for Parents of Hearing Impaired Children
- Original information based on the Healthcare Rights Booklet for the Deaf and Hearing Impaired published by the Mazor Clinical Center - Providing Legal Advice Regarding Patients Rights in Israel.
- English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.