Health plans cover travel expenses for medical treatment for cancer and dialysis patients. (Bone marrow transplant patients who are insured by Maccabi are also eligible for funding.)
- Reimbursement Rates from the Health Funds:
- Patients are entitled to a full reimbursement of travel expenses from their home to the hospital and back based on public transportation costs.
- Patients who travel by ambulance or taxi will receive a reimbursement of 50% of the costs.( Sometimes the reimbursement is only granted if the transport occurs through ambulances which the health fund has an agreement with.)
- Patients who are hospitalized after they were transported in a MDA ambulance or mobile Intensive Care Unit are entitled to Full Funding.
Who is eligible?
How to claim it?
- Patients wishing to receive travel reimbursement must contact their health plan and present the following documentation:
- Confirmation from the hospital or the institution where they receive treatment. Be sure that the date of treatment appears on the document confirming receipt of treatment.
- Receipts for travel according to the type of transportation taken (receipts from bus, taxi, ambulance or the purchase of fuel).
- Patients who travel in their own private vehicle for treatment must contact their health plans for more information about how to receive a reimbursement and the reimbursement amount.
- Patients requesting to receive a reimbursement for remaining costs from the local authority's social services office (dependent on the budget of that office) must provide up-to-date documentation indicating income, copies of receipts, details about appointment dates at the hospital and details regarding the amount of reimbursement received from the health plan. Link to find your local Social Services Department
Reimbursements for Private Car Travel
- Maccabi Health Services - For private car travel, reimbursement will be provided according to round-trip mileage based on the following calculation: the number of treatments multiplied by the price of a liter of 95 octane fuel including gas station service fees multiplied by the number of kilometers, divided by 10. For details, see the Maccabi Health Plan website.
- All other health plans - For private car travel, patients will receive a reimbursement equal to the cost of round-trip public transportation between their home and the hospital.
Reimbursement for Accompanying a Patient
- A person accompanying a patient on public transport, may receive partial funding for travel expenses, in accordance with the patient's Health Fund.
- It is recommended to clarify the entitlement with each health fund individually.
- Some health funds allow Oncology Patients to chose the hospital where they receive treatment. For more information see Health Plan Choice of Service Provider Arrangements.
Organizations that help with transportation to hospitals:
- Ezer Mizion
- Ezra Lemarpeh
- Refaeinu V'Nivasheia
- For a comprehensive categorized listing of healthcare organizations offering assistance and support, click here.
Laws & Regulations
- National Health Insurance Law, 5754 (1994)
- Medical Administration Memo 4/2008 (05.02.2008) - Transportation of Dialysis Patients.
- Provision 4.4 of the Social Work Regulations (25.08.2011)] - Care of the elderly at home and in the community, Section 5.5
- Provision 3.6 of the Social Work Regulations (01.0.2003)] - Other medical needs, Section 5.2
- Specific information for cancer patients according to their health fund may be found in the Israel Cancer Association's informational leaflet
- Original information in this entry is courtesy of the Mazor Clinical Center - Providing Legal Advice Regarding Patients Rights in Israel.
- Original translation performed by The Shira Pransky Project as part of a grant from The Fellowship Fund.