According to The National Health Insurance Law, general anesthesia for dental procedures is included in the healthcare basket only in special cases in which the patient's medical condition is such that the dental procedures can be performed only under general anesthesia.
- According to Ministry of Health guidelines, general anesthesia for purposes of performing dental procedures may only be undertaken if there is no other form of anesthesia that will enable treatment of the patient.
- General anesthesia may only be performed by an anesthesiologist who holds a certificate of specialty in anesthesia from the Ministry of Health.
- Dental care under general anesthesia may only be performed in hospitals or clinics that meet the conditions defined by the Ministry of Health's Dental Health Department.
Who is Eligible?
- Dental care under general anesthesia is included in the healthcare basket for people with the following conditions:
Who is not Eligible?
- The following cases may be medically justified to provide general anesthesia, but are not included in the healthcare basket:
- Healthy young children who require general anesthesia solely due to their age
- Healthy children requiring a number of procedures at once and who are not cooperating with the treatment staff
- Adults who have a fear of dental treatment
How to Claim It?
- The individual's health fund should be contacted.
- If treatment is provided in a hospital, a letter of financial obligation/payment voucher (Form 17) from the health plan is required.
- For more information see the Kol Habriut website
- For more information on the health plan websites:
- The actual procedures performed while under general anesthesia are not included as part of this entitlement.
- The Ministry of Health - The Dental Health Department
- The Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services
Laws and Regulations
- The National Health Insurance Law
- Medical Administration Circular 54/2002 from 27.10.02 regarding general anesthesia for dental care
- Original information written by the IMA.
- English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.