The health plans have an established quarterly payment ceiling for medical services per family.
- Policyholders that have reached mandatory retirement age (67) and families that at least one of the spouses has reached this age, are entitled to a 50% reduction of the quarterly payment ceiling.
- Eligibility may be at an earlier age according to the specific health plan regulations.'
A List of Services
- Secondary Doctors: Specialty doctors, including psychiatrists that are not primary care doctors (see below) as well as dietitians and podiatrists.
- Primary doctors are general doctors (that are not specialists) and specialty doctors in family medicine, internal medicine, gynecology and pediatrics. There are no co-payments for visits to primary care doctors.
- Out-patient Clinics: Clinics run in the framework of general hospitals (including mental health clinics in general hospitals).
- Imaging institutes: x-rays, ultrasounds, nuclear medicine, CT, echocardiograms, MRI.
- Diagnostic institutes: EEG, EMG, audiometry, ergometry
- Institute for gastroenterology and the institute for sleeping problems
- For a list of medical services see the Ministry of Health website.
Who is Eligible?
- Policyholders that have reached mandatory retirement age (67) and families that at least one of the spouses has reached this age.
- Eligibility may be at an earlier age according to the specific health plan regulations.
- Senior citizens who also fall into one of the following categories are entitled to a full payment exemption:
How to Claim It?
- The discount should be given automatically. When an entitled individual or family reaches the relevant quarterly payment ceiling, the system should recognize this and not require co-payments for further services that quarter.
- Click here for a full list of government agencies responsible for issues related to old age and aging
- Main government agencies:
|Government Agency||Website||Rights and Areas of Responsibility|
|*8840 Ministry for Social Equality - Hotline for Public Inquiries||Ministry for Social Equality website||The *8840 hotline run by the Ministry for Social Equality gives the elderly a central address to direct all of their questions, provide information regarding rights, services and benefits entitled to the elderly. It also helps them actualize these rights.|
|*6050 hotlines - The National Insurance Institute||Senior Citizens' Rights on the National Insurance Institute's website.||Rights to various allowances given based on age and economic situation.|
|*9696 hotline - The National Insurance Institute's Call Center for Senior Citizen Counseling Services||Senior Citizens' Rights on the National Insurance Institute's website.||Free aid provided through counseling services for senior citizens and the call center|
| The Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services
||Senior Citizens on the Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services website||Funding of Nursing Homes for independent and frail seniors. Various services are also provided within the community.|
|The Ministry of Health||Senior Health on the Ministry of Health website.||Health Insurance and assistance for those suffering from age related health problems.|
|*5442 The Ministry of Housing and Construction Call Center||The Ministry of Construction and Housing website||Housing Assistance and Problem Solving for Senior Citizens|
|Equal Employment Opportunities Commission- 02-6662701||Equal Employment Opportunities Commission website]||The commission responsible for enforcing equality in the workplace and for handling cases of prohibited discrimination.|
|The Population and Immigration Authority - *3450||Population and Immigration Authority website||Treatment of foreign workers, responsible for giving permits for the employment of foreign workers, managing the financial deposits that employers of foreign workers are required to deposit, oversight of the entrance and exit of foreign workers into Israel, issuing a death certificate, and updating the Population authority.|
Laws and Regulations
- The National Health Insurance Law - Section 8(1a)(2)(c)
- English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.