Dyslexia is a reading disorder characterized by difficulties reading, spelling, and with verbal or written expression.
The disorder is expressed through difficulties mastering age-appropriate reading skills; slow reading; mistakes and difficulty comprehending reading material; as well as reading planning stages; and handling and understanding long texts.
This page presents the rights and benefits given to a person with dyslexia.
The Healthcare System
Diagnosis and Paramedical Treatments
- The health plans cover diagnoses and treatment by a multidisciplinary team at child development facilities for children up to age 9.
- Children up to age 6 are eligible for multidisciplinary treatment for learning disabilities.
- For more information, see:
Matriculation Examination (Bagrut) Accommodations
- Students with learning disabilities who have undergone a diagnosis are entitled to take the matriculation examinations under modified conditions. For more information see: Matriculation Examination Accommodations for those with Learning Disabilities. Students from families with financial difficulties may receive funding for the diagnosis from the Ministry of Education.
Psychometric Testing Accommodations
- Students with learning disabilities may take the Psychometric Test under modified conditions if their request is approved. For more information see: Psychometric Testing Accommodations.
Post-Secondary School Accommodations
- Students with learning disabilities are entitled to accommodations with the admissions process for a post-secondary school education, as well as with their studies in institutions of post-secondary education. For more information, see: Accommodations for the Learning Disabled in Institutions of Post-Secondary Education.
- Those with learning disabilities may take the driving theory test orally. For more information, see: Theory Test Accommodations at the Ministry of Vehicle Licensing (Misrad HaRishui).
- Those with learning disabilities are entitled to special accommodations on psycho-technical testing performed at IDF recruitment offices. For more information, see: IDF Recruitment Office Examination Accommodations.
Certification Examination Accommodations
- Lawyers: Those with a law degree who have undergone their internship and have a diagnosis indicating that they have a learning disability, may apply for special certification examination accommodations from the Israel Bar Association. For more information, see: Bar Association Examination Accommodations for the Learning Disabled.
- Accountants: Those with learning disabilities may apply for examination accommodations from the Board of Certified Public Accountants. For more information, see: Board of Certified Public Accountants Examination Accommodations.
- Nitzan - The Israeli Association for Children and Adults with Learning Disabilities
- Leshem - The Association for the Advancement of Learning Disabled Students in Higher Education in Israel
- Marom - Advancing the Learning Disabled Population
- Push Foundation - Remedial assistance for students from families with financial difficulties
- Talia Trust for Children - Helping learning disabled children from needy families to receive the educational tools essential for them to succeed
- B'Yahad - Parents of Children with ADHD
- The Organization for the Realization of Dyslexic Students' Talents
- Kavim V'Mahshevot - The Association to Promote ADHD Awareness
- Tzori - Supporting individuals with special needs
- The Ministry of Health
- The Ministry of Education - Department of Learning Disabilities and Attention Disorders
- The National Insurance Institute
- The Israel Tax Authority
Laws & Regulations
- The Rights for Students with Learning Disabilities in Higher Education Law
- The Equal Rights for People with Disabilities Law
- Ministry of Health Director Circular 40/2010 - Criteria for diagnosing Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in adolescents and adult children
- Ministry of Education Director Circular, December 2003 - Adjustments in the way students are diagnosed with internal and external learning disabilities: in hebrew.
- Dyslexia.co.il: Professional website containing useful information about dyslexia and other learning disabilities
- Wikipedia: Dyslexia
- Original translation performed by The Shira Pransky Project as part of a grant from The Fellowship Fund.
- Original informaton was written with the assistance of the Organisation Nitzan, and its booklet "Students with Learning Disabilities" published by the Ministry of Education.