According to the Ministry of Health circular, every baby born weighing less than 1,500 grams should be referred for evaluation and development assessment at an institute recognized for child development and rehabilitation services.
- For additional information regarding child development services see:
Who is Eligible?
- Any baby born weighing less than 1,500 grams.
How to Claim It?
- The hospital staff should refer the newborns to child development centers that are approved by the baby's kupat cholim (health care fund).
- The child development centers should prioritize these infants for diagnosis and treatment.
- Infants with developmental disorders that require immediate therapeutic intervention should be treated as soon as possible.
- According to the Health Director's circular from 01.03.2015:
- For preterm infants born less than 1,500 grams and before the 32nd week of pregnancy, the waiting time for diagnosis and start of treatment should not exceed two weeks from the date of referral.
- For preterm infants born over 1,500 grams or after 32 weeks of gestation, the waiting time for diagnosis and start of treatment should not exceed one month from the date of referral.
- In the event of delay in diagnosis and treatment beyond the prescribed dates, one can contact a child development center recognized by the Ministry of Health (even if the center is not part of the arrangement with the infant's kupat cholim and the infant has not been referred to that center).
- In exceptional cases, and in the absence of a different solution at the prescribed time, treatment by a private therapist may also be requested.
- In these cases, the family is entitled to reimbursement of the payments for treatment or diagnosis, to the maximum Ministry of Health rates, provided that the number of treatments did not exceed the number of treatments to which they are entitled.
- The refund (excluding the deductible) will be provided by the health fund.
Laws and Regulations
- Health Director circular no. 28/2000 from 06.08.2000 - early referral to a child development services center for children who are at high risk for developmental disabilities.
- Health Director circular no. 42/2005 from 06.11.2005 - early referral of newborns with low birth weights for developmental evaluations.
- Health Director circular from 01.03.2015 - child development services provided through the kupot cholim.
- The initial information on this page was written by the Israeli Medical Association
- English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.