If parents or students require physical accessibility at an educational institution where the child will be enrolled (in either the regular or special education system), they may register the child before the official registration date in order to allow for accessibility modifications to be performed in time.
- This right includes all forms of school registration including registration for: kindergarten; first grade; transitional registration from elementary to middle school and middle school to high school; registration at a new school due to a move; etc.
- Early registration may take place from June of the year prior to the school year for which the child is being registered, meaning 15 months prior to the beginning of the relevant school year.
- Physical accessibility modifications include the following, among others:
- An accessible elevator
- An accessible bathroom
- Accessible building access
- Accessible sports field and play yard
- Acoustic ceilings
- Any other relevant modification of the school building
- For more information regarding physical accessibility see:
Who is Eligible?
- Parents or students requiring that physical accessibility modifications be performed at an educational institution due to physical limitations.
How to Claim It?
- Those wishing to register a child early must inform their local authority's department of education.
- At the department of education a form indicating the parent's preferred educational institution and the required modification (if known) must be filled out.
- If required, relevant documentation must be attached.
- If the local authority is not aware of the right to early registration, contact the Legal Public Inquiries Department of the Commission for Equal Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
- The early registration described above is only intended for children or parents requiring physical accessibility modifications. For accessibility modifications that are not physical in nature, early registration is not required.
- The local authority is required to place every student solely according to regular pedagogical and administrative considerations, without the need to perform accessibility modifications playing a role in the placement determination process.
- Early registration is a right, not an obligation. Parents do not have to take advantage of early registration for these purposes, but it will increase the chances of the educational institution being made accessible in time.
- Compensation for a student with disabilities because her school was not accessible
- Monetary Compensation for Parents with Disabilities because of the Inaccessibility of their Daughter's School
- The Commission for Equal Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- The Ministry of Education
- The local authorities
Laws and Regulations
- The Equal Rights for People with Disabilities Law - 1998 - Chapter E1, section 7, part 2: Educational Institutions and Educational Services
- Equal Rights for People with Disabilities Regulations (Accessibility Modifications in an Existing Educational Institution), 5770-2011
- Ministry of Education Director Circular 5772/4(a) from 01.11.2011 - Early Registration for Children with Special Needs Requiring Physical Accessibility in an Educational Institution
- Commission for Equal Rights of Persons with Disabilities Circular from 28.05.2012: Physical Accessibility of an Educational Institution for a Child or Parent with Disabilities - Early Registration Option
- English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.