Old Age Disability Pension recipients are entitled to a discount on their electricity bill.
- The discount is given every month and is worth 50% off the first 400KwH of usage each month (800KwH of usage per each bi-monthly bill), at the residential rates, and is valid for homes that are used for residential purposes only.
- A person who is eligible for a discounted electricity bill because he/she fits into several eligible populations, is only eligible to receive the discount under one framework.
Who is Eligible?
- Anyone who receives an Old Age Disability Pension (meaning one who received a General Disability Pension before reaching retirement age.
How to Claim It?
- Every month, the National Insurance Institute sends an updated list of those who are eligible to the electric company.
- The National Insurance Institute also sends a notification of eligibility to everyone who is eligible.
- The discount is only given automatically on the electricity bill for those whose information appearing in the electric company's records matches the information received from the National Insurance Institute (the parent who is registered as actually receiving the benefit The discount is given according to the name and identification number of the person who is entitled, as he/she is registered on the contract with the electric company.
- Those who have been notified of their eligibility for the discount from the National Insurance Institute, but for whom the discount has not yet appeared on the electricity bill should call the customer service center by dialing 103 toll-free and update their name and identification number information with the representative.
- The electric company may also be contacted via their website.
Eligible recipients who do not live in a private residence
- Some benefit recipients live in non-private housing (nursing home, hostel, kibbutz, etc.), where a sub-meter is installed which records the electricity consumption for their housing unit.
- In these cases, the recipient should contact the housing management so that they can discuss with the electric company how the discount can be applied.
Request to transfer a contract on behalf of the eligible recipient
- If the eligible discount recipient is unable to request independently the transfer of the contract in his name, a fax must be sent to the electric company: 03-7131899.
- The fax should indicate that it is a request to transfer the contract in the name of the person eligible to receive the discount, an specify the following information:
- Contract number appearing on the electric bill
- Full name and identification number of the person who is eligible to receive the discount (the benefit recipient)
- Phone number of the eligible recipient or relative
- Name and signature of the current customer whose name is on the contract
- Photocopy of guardian appointment order, if applicable
- If there is a standing order payment and the applicant is interested in keeping the same payment details, this should be indicated.
- In order to verify that the fax was received, wait ten minutes and then call the 103 customer service center.
- The request will be processed within two business days.
- The maximum discount amount is 110 NIS per month, and 220 NIS per bi-monthly bill (as of January 2017).
- The discount will appear on the bill in the section that breaks down the components of the bill under a separate heading titled "discount for the those eligible." That section will cite the amount of the discount that was subtracted from the bill.
- In the body of the bill, the calculations of the discount are detailed; the number of KwH (the electricity measurement) that the discount was given on and the rate charged per KwH.
- A sample electricity bill (click on the image to see the full bill):
- You may ask to get your electricity bill monthly instead of once every other month
- Likewise you can call the 103 hotline and clarify if there are other ways to make payment easier such as:
- the ability to pay your electricity bill using payment vouchers
- limiting your electric use through pre-paying the electric meter for long periods of time
- Facilitating debt arrangements for consumers with financial difficulties by eliminating interest rates and collection costs
- The National Insurance Institute
- The Israel Electric Company
- see also Discounts on Electricity Bills for the disabled on the "Kol Habriut" website from the Ministry of Health.
- [[he:זיקנה והזדקנות/גורמי ממשל|Click here for a full list of government agencies responsible for issues related to old age and aging]
- Main government agencies:
|Government Agency||Website||Rights and Areas of Responsibility|
|*8840 Ministry for Social Equality - Hotline for Public Inquiries||Ministry for Social Equality website||The *8840 hotline run by the Ministry for Social Equality gives the elderly a central address to direct all of their questions, provide information regarding rights, services and benefits entitled to the elderly. It also helps them actualize these rights.|
|*6050 hotlines - The National Insurance Institute||Senior Citizens' Rights on the National Insurance Institute's website.||Rights to various allowances given based on age and economic situation.|
|*9696 hotline - The National Insurance Institute's Call Center for Senior Citizen Counseling Services||Senior Citizens' Rights on the National Insurance Institute's website.||Free aid provided through counseling services for senior citizens and the call center|
| The Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services
||Senior Citizens on the Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services website||Funding of Nursing Homes for independent and frail seniors. Various services are also provided within the community.|
|The Ministry of Health||Senior Health on the Ministry of Health website.||Health Insurance and assistance for those suffering from age related health problems.|
|*5442 The Ministry of Housing and Construction Call Center||The Ministry of Construction and Housing website||Housing Assistance and Problem Solving for Senior Citizens|
|Equal Employment Opportunities Commission- 02-6662701||Equal Employment Opportunities Commission website]||The commission responsible for enforcing equality in the workplace and for handling cases of prohibited discrimination.|
|The Population and Immigration Authority - *3450||Population and Immigration Authority website||Treatment of foreign workers, responsible for giving permits for the employment of foreign workers, managing the financial deposits that employers of foreign workers are required to deposit, oversight of the entrance and exit of foreign workers into Israel, issuing a death certificate, and updating the Population authority.|
Laws and Regulations
- Electricity Sector Law
- The Electricity Sector Regulations (Reduced Payment for Old Age Disability Pension Recipients), 5771-2011
- The National Insurance Law
- English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.