Patients released from the hospital, people age 85 and above, and other patients may be eligible for a permit to employ a foreign nursing care worker even if they do not meet the usual criteria
For more information see: Criteria for issuing a permit to employ a foreign nursing care worker (part 3) on the immigration authority website.
In the exceptional cases detailed below, patients who do not meet the relevant criteria, are still eligible to receive a permit to employ a foreign nursing care worker after their case is discussed by a professional advisory committee.
Who is Eligible?
- Patients who scored between 2.5 and 4.5 points on the dependency test (ADL), of which at least 0.5 points are in the movement section, and for whom at least one of the following conditions applies:
- The patient lives with another person with disabilities in the family.
- The patient has intellectual developmental disabilities and lives with a parent who is over age 70.
- The patient has at least three children below the age of 16.
- The patient has a malignant disease or serious illness and requires supervision for most of the day
- Patients about to be released from the hospital:
- Patients who are about to be released from the hospital or nursing facility and receive a medical diagnosis which indicates the need for continuity of care, will receive a permit for a maximum of 3 months.
- This permit allows for the employment of a foreign worker who is lawfully in Israel, but not for one to be brought from abroad.
- In order to extend the permit, the regular conditions of eligibility must be met.
- For more information see, Employing a Foreign Care Giver After Release from a Hospital or Nursing Institution
- Patients who are dependent on the Ministry of Defense's Rehabilitation Branch (for example bereaved IDF parents and widows).
- Seniors age 85 and above that don't meet the regular eligibility criteria.
How to Claim It?
- An application should be submitted to the Immigration and Population Department according to the regular procedures that are detailed on the receiving a permit to employ a foreign nursing care worker page.
- Relevant medical documentation should be attached to the request.
- A patient who is released from the hospital should also submit a request for a patient who is being released from the hospital or nursing institution form (Form 5 in the general form).
- Those who are cared for by the Ministry of Defense's Rehabilitation Branch should attach confirmation that they are being treated by the branch as well as medical documentation indicating their medical condition.
- Seniors age 85 and above should attach up-to-date medical documentation proving that their medical condition requires nursing care for most hours of the day.
- The professional advisory committee will assess each request and will recommend to the general director whether or not there is a need for a foreign nursing care worker.
- The committee may request to see medical tests, additional medical or social work opinions and any other documentation relevant to deciding about the request.
- Provision of a permit in exceptional cases is subject to the discretion of the relevant authorities.
- Internet hot line for those who employ foreign nursing care workers
- Elder care law services
- Yad Riva - Legal aid for senior citizens
- Reut and Eshel - Guidance services for senior citizens and their families who care for them.
- Kav Lamassik Information and Legal Advice for Foreign Workers.
- Ba-Bayit- Welfare and Aid for the Golden Age
- For a complete lists of organizations offering assistance and support to senior citizens
- For a comprehensive categorized listing of healthcare organizations offering assistance and support to people with disabilities click here.
- The Population and Immigration Authority
- The Ministry of Economy - Commissioner of Foreign Workers' Rights
- The National Insurance Institute
Laws and Regulations
- The Foreign Workers Law
- Employment Service Regulations (Payments from a Job Applicant for Job Brokering) 2006
- The Population and Immigration Ministry Procedures No. 9.2.0001 - Procedures for private offices to bring, mediate and care for foreign nursing care workers 2014.
- The Population and Immigration Ministry Procedures No. 9.2.0002 -Procedure for dealing with a new request or a request for a renewal to employ a foreign nursing care worker.
- Policy regarding employment of foreign workers on the Population, Immigration, and Border Crossing Authority's website
- Guide to employing foreign workers in the Government Services and Information Portal
- Rights and Information for Foreign Workers -available in different languages - from the Population and Immigration Authority.
- Employees' Rights - available in different languages - on the Kav La'Oved/Worker's Hotline website.