Those requiring a full-time (or more) nursing care worker are entitled to receive a permit to hire a foreign worker
Employers of foreign workers are obligated to provide them with the employment conditions required by law
Policy for Requests for Receiving a New or Renewed Foreign Nursing Care Work Permit on the Population, Immigration and Border Authority website

Those requiring a full-time (or more) nursing care worker, who do not live in an institutional framework (with the exception of those in sheltered housing that does not offer nursing care services and those in outpatient facilities) are entitled to receive a work permit to hire a foreign worker as long as they meet the criteria appearing in the conditions of eligibility below.

  • The permit holder is fully responsible for paying the employee, although some of the salary may be funded by means of a Long-Term Care Benefit.

Who is Eligible?

Those who have reached retirement age and the elderly

  • Those who have reached retirement age may receive a permit to employ a foreign worker if they live in the community, including sheltered housing, and not in an institutional framework and they meet one of the following criteria:
  • Those over the age of 90 are eligible for the permit, if they have been assigned at least 4 cumulative ADL assessment points.


  • Recipients of a Special Services Benefit (Attendance Allowance) are entitled to employ a foreign worker regardless of their age and they do not need to undergo a dependency assessment.
  • Disabled IDF veterans and those with disabilities caused by a hostile act are eligible if the Ministry of Defense committee or the National Insurance Institute's Department for Victims of Hostile Acts has determined that the applicant is eligible to at least 17 hours of assistance.
  • Work Disability victims recognized by the National Insurance Institute as such on the "dependent on others" or "long-term care" level.

Children up to age 18 and 3 months

  • Children with disabilities who are eligible for a Disabled Child Benefit and for whom a Nursing Division Long-Term Care Advisory Committee has determined to meet one of the following conditions:
    • The child requires someone to provide him/ her physical assistance in order to go to school.
    • The child requires constant accompaniment or supervision throughout most of the day due to the disability, and isunable to participate in an educational/therapeutic/after-school framework.
    • There are other special medical circumstances that require daily, constant, and continual care during the hours in which the child is at home (such as special treatment throughout the night).
    • A family which has 2 children that are eligible for a disabled child benefit and who require supervision or accompaniment is able to receive a permit to hire one foreign worker to care for for both of them.

Patients Discharged from a Hospital or Rehabilitation Facility

Other cases

Eligibility of Two Patients Living Together

  • In certain cases, a permit to employ one foreign aid caretaker to care for two families members who live together (each one of them meeting the criteria to hire a foreign worker) may be given.
  • The permit to employ one caregiver can be given only after it is shown that such an arrangement won't negatively impact the care given to the patients or the caregiver, due to an unreasonable work load.
  • For more information see Employing One Foreign Caretaker to Care for Two Family Members

How to Claim It?

Extending a Foreign Nursing Care Work Permit

  • Those who have a permanent disability based upon a decision by the medical board of the Employment Services, have the right to extend the permit for employing a foreign worker without further testing.
  • Those over the age of 85 are entitled to extend a permit to employ a foreign worker without additional examinations as long as relevant circumstances have not changed (such as moving to an institutional framework where nursing care is provided).
  • A child with disabilities is entitled to extend the employment permit without additional tests if the child meets the following two conditions:
    • The child is entitled to Disabled Child Benefit at the rate of at least 100%.
    • The child is not living in an institution (affidavits declaring as such are required).

Please Note

  • Foreign workers may only be employed in nursing care, and only for the types of work defined in the work contract, as indicated in the employment permit. Foreign workers may not work in another profession unless it is indicated in the work permit.
  • Employers must provided adequate living arrangements for the nursing care worker in their home.
  • Foreign workers may only provide nursing care services and perform reasonable housework in the home of the person in whose name the permit was granted. Having a foreign worker perform work for anyone else, even a close relative, is a violation of the conditions of the permit.
  • Those wanting to employ a foreign worker for providing nursing care are exempt from paying the special fee and tax levied by the Ministry of the Interior.
  • In cases in which the patient is eligible for a Long-Term Care Benefit and the patient chooses to hire a foreign work through a care-taking agency, each of the employers (the patient and the agency) are responsible for the cost of hiring the worker according to the relative scope of the position. For more information see Joint Employment of a Foreign Worker by the Patient and the Care-taking Agency.
  • It must be verified that the foreign worker's passport is valid for at least 18 months.

Aid Organizations

Government Agencies

Laws and Regulations

Additional Publications