An employer of a foreign worker is obligated to enter into a written employment agreement with the worker, that details the conditions of the worker's employment in a language the worker can understand
Failure to sign an employment contract with a foreign worker constitutes a criminal offense
One copy of the employment contract should be sent to the worker and another copy should be kept in the workplace with the rest of the foreign worker's documents
The employer of a foreign worker is obligated to enter into a written employment agreement with the worker, that details the conditions of the worker's employment.
- The contract must be written in a language the worker understands.
- The employer must give a copy of the contract to the worker.
Who is Eligible?
- Every foreign worker employed in Israel.
How to Claim It?
- Before a foreign worker begins employment, the employer must sign a contract with the worker, in a language understandable to the worker.
- The contract must include the following sections:
- Identification of the employer and the foreign worker.
- Job description.
- The foreign worker's salary, all of the components of it, the date it will be paid, how the salary will be updated, including all of the components and when they will be paid.
- List of deductions from the work salary.
- Payments to be made by the employer and the foreign worker for the worker's social benefits.
- Dates the employment period starts and ends.
- Length of a work day and work week, including the weekly rest time.
- Conditions for what happens with payment when the worker is absent, including vacations, holidays and sick days.
- The obligation of the employer to provide Health Insurance for Foreign Workers.
- The obligation of the employer to provide appropriate housing conditions for the foreign worker.
- The obligation of the employer (when it's relevant for him) to deposit money for the benefit of the foreign worker and to ensure his ability to leave Israel.
- The details of the Ombudsman for Foreign Workers Rights and how to contact him as well as the right to submit a complaint to the ombudsman.
- After the contract is signed one copy of the employment contract should be sent to the worker and another copy should be kept in the workplace with the rest of the foreign worker's documents.
- Employment of a foreign worker without signing an employment contract is a criminal offense and can be punishable with prison time and a fine of thousands of shekels.
- Welfare Department - Jerusalem Municipality
- Worker's Hotline
- Hotline for Refugees and Migrants
- Physicians for Human Rights - Israel
Assistance in Employing Nursing Care Workers
- Internet hot line for those who employ foreign nursing care workers
- Elder care law services
- Yad Riva - Legal aid for senior citizens
- Reut and Eshel - Guidance services for senior citizens and their families who care for them.
- Kav Lamassik Information and Legal Advice for Foreign Workers.
- Ba-Bayit- Welfare and Aid for the Golden Age
- For a complete lists of organizations offering assistance and support to senior citizens
- For a comprehensive categorized listing of healthcare organizations offering assistance and support to people with disabilities click here.
- The Population and Immigration Authority
- The Foreign Workers' Employment Rights Ombudsman
- The National Insurance Institute
- The Interior Ministry
Laws and Regulations
- The Foreign Workers Law - 1991
- The Foreign Workers Regulations (Prohibition Against Illegal Employment and Guarantee of Fair Conditions (Appropriate Housing)) - 2000
- The Foreign Workers Regulations (Salary Deduction Amounts for Appropriate Housing) - 2000
- The Rights of Foreign Workers on the Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services website
- Foreign Workers - Information for Employers and Workers on the Population and Immigration Authority website
- Information Regarding the Employment of Foreign Workers and Illegal Infiltrators on the Population and Immigration Authority website
- Information on the Illegal Employment of Foreign Workers and Asylum Seekers - on the Population and Immigration Authority website.
- The Rights of Migrant Workers in the Agriculture Field, 2019 Worker's Hotline.
- The Rights of Migrant Workers in the Nursing Field, 2019 Worker's Hotline.