Anyone that is interested in complaining about a violation of foreign workers' rights can contact the Ombudsman for Foreign Worker Rights and submit a complaint.
- The ombudsman is entitled, among other things, to receive complaints regarding violations of the employments rights of foreign workers by the following people:
- An employer of foreign workers
- A broker of foreign workers
- Someone who in actuality employees foreign workers
Target Audience and Prerequisites
- Any person (a foreign worker or other person) that has encountered the violation of foreign workers' employment rights.
Who and How to Contact
- The ombudsman can be contacted in several ways:
- The complaint must be made in writing and can be submitted in many different languages.
- You can go to the ombudsman's office during reception hours - with advance appointment.
Stages of the Process
- After the complaint has been filed, the person who submitted it will receive a confirmation of its submission within 7 days.
- The ombudsman will clarify the circumstances of the complaint. For this purpose, the ombudsman is authorized to require the employer of the foreign worker, the broker or the actual employer of the employee, to provide data regarding the employment of the worker (as well as data regarding the employment of other foreign workers).
- Failure to comply with the ombudsman's request to investigate the complaint is considered a criminal offense.
- In addition, the ombudsman is authorized to request information from any other entity that is subject to the State Comptroller's audit, including any information, document or report that is within the jurisdiction of that body.
- After investigating the complaint, the ombudsman is authorized to act in one of the following ways:
- Reject the complaint
- Refer the complaint for clarification by another body authorized to do so
- Refer the submitter of the complaint and the person whom he is complaining about, to mediation proceedings
- File a civil suit or join a civil suit regarding the foreign worker's employment rights
- The ombudsman will respond to the complainant with the decided course of action and provide reasons for the decision.
- The response will be given, as much as possible, in the language in which the complaint was filed.
Laws and Regulations
- The Foreign Workers Law - 1991 - chapter D3
- Original translation performed by The Shira Pransky Project as part of a grant from The Fellowship Fund.