The Services for the Blind is run by the ALEH organization and provides information and counseling stations for the blind and visually impaired.
- The service operates in eye-clinics in hospitals nation-wide, and contributes to shortening the time between an injury and receiving vision rehabilitation services thus improving rehabilitative process.
- The service stations can provide the following types of assistance:
- Preliminary emotional support.
- Application for a Certificate of Blindness/Visual Impairment.
- Referral to the National Insurance Institute.
- Referral to social services in the community such as rehabilitation and mobility programs (to assist in orientation inside and outside of the home).
- Gathering information on organizations and institutions that assist the visually impaired population.
- Additionally, each station has an accessories kit which includes examples of auxiliary deceives designed to facilitate the daily functioning of the visually impaired population (e.g. special magnifiers, talking clock, talking thermometers etc.)
Who is Eligible?
- People for whom their better eye after correction (glasses, surgery etc) is one of the following:
- People whose visual acuity is below 6/24 (below 6/18 for those under the age of 18).
- People whose field of vision is below 40°.
- These eligibility criteria are different than those required to receive a Certificate of Blindness/Visual Impairment - those who are not entitled to a certificate may be entitled to various social services.
How to Claim It?
- To receive services at an information station contact the station operator in your area of residence.
- For a list of stations and their details on the ALEH website.
- For details and additional information regarding the service, you may contact:
- The information stations coordinator at The Center for the Blind in Israel at 03-6393938.
- There is an option to leave a message and also to receive service in Hebrew, Arabic and Russian. The days and hours that there is answer service in each language are available on the ALEH website (at the bottom of the page.
Laws and Regulations
- Provision 17 of the Social Work Regulations: Information Station Services for the Blind and Newly Visually Impaired
- Original information regarding the blind and visually impaired was primarily based on the Guide to Rights and Services for the Blind in Israel from the Blind Services Department (Rehabilitation Branch, Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services), as well as the Makom Meuchad website, and was uploaded to the site with the assistance of Blind Services Department grant recipients.
- Original translation performed by The Shira Pransky Project as part of a grant from The Fellowship Fund.