Medical records may not be taken out of a hospital without written approval from the relevant authority in the hospital.
- If medical records are given to a patient to keep, this must be documented by the care provider or medical facility. The relevant department in the hospital must keep a copy of the records.
Who is Eligible?
How to Claim It?
- Details regarding different types of medical records and how long they must be kept is found in the first appendix to the Public Health Regulations (Record Keeping), 5737-1976.
- For information on obtaining medical information from the medical record, see: Obtaining Information from the Medical Record.
- Medical records do not have to be kept for an unlimited period of time.
- According to the law, different types of medical records have different periods of time for which they must be kept.
- For a comprehensive categorized listing of healthcare organizations offering assistance and support, click here.
- The Ministry of Health
- "Kol HaBriut" - the Ministry of Health call center *5400
- The National Health Insurance Law Ombudsman
- The National Insurance Institute
Laws and Regulations
- The Patient's Rights Law, 5756-1996, Section 17
- Public Health Regulations (Record Keeping), 5737-1976
- Guide on how to maintain the right to privacy - The Ministry of Justice's Protection of Privacy Authority.
- Original information written by the IMA.
- English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.