Eligibility for a Long-Term Care Benefit is contingent on meeting the criteria detailed below.
- The process for receiving the benefit is outlined in this chart:
by the claim clerk
or a permanent benefit at one of the Long-Term Care Benefit levels
Rejection of the claim
- Private nursing companies offer temporary nursing services free of charge, even before a final decision is made regarding the patient's eligibility for a nursing benefit, and without any obligation on the patient's part.
- You can find out more about companies that provide these services from hospital social workers, social services departments, HMO clinics and National Insurance Institute branches.
- For additional information see "Pre-Nursing" Services in a Disability Claim.
Long-Term Care Benefit Conditions of Eligibility
- In order to be eligible for a Long-Term Care Benefit, applicants must meet all five' of the following conditions of eligibility:
- Be an Israeli resident who has reached retirement age
- Someone who becomes an Israeli citizen after retirement age is entitled to the benefit if he made aliyah according to the law of return or he received an Absorption Basket.
- Live in the community (at home or in the independent section of an assisted living facility).
- Those who live in an institution are eligible only if they live in an independent section or a section for those who are frail. (Those who live in a nursing section, section for the mentally frail, geriatric hospital or an institution that has most of its expenses funded by a public entity -such as a government office or the local authority - are not eligible.)
- Living in a nursing home licensed by the Ministry of Health or Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services may be grounds for disqualification, but not necessarily (click here to see a legal ruling regarding this issue).
- A Long-Term Care Benefit recipient who is hospitalized in a general hospital is is entitled to long-term care services in the hospital during the first 30 days of his/her hospitalization.
- Long-Term Care Benefit recipients whose eligibility were suspended because of hospitalization or institutionalization become eligible again one they are released.
- May not also receive one of the following benefits (those receiving one of these benefits must choose between receiving it or the Long-Term Care Benefit):
- Special Services Benefit (Attendance Allowance)
- Special benefit for those who have a high degree of disability due to a workplace accident injury
- Benefit for personal care or supervision from the Ministry of Finance
- A double benefit from the Ministry of Defense as detailed in the National Insurance Institute Circular.
- Require significant assistance or supervision (the extent to which assistance is necessary is determined after an ADL test of dependence has been performed):
- Requires significant assistance performing daily activities - getting dressed, bathing, eating, going to the bathroom, mobility in the home, cooking
- Supervision in order to prevent them from endangering themselves, or their surroundings
- Meets the monthly income requirements
- To calculate eligibility based on income see the National Insurance Institute calculator.
- For additional information see Income Test to Determine Long-Term Care Benefit Eligibility and the following table:
- Be an Israeli resident who has reached retirement age
|Family status||Monthly income as of 01.01.2020||Benefit rate|
|Individual||Up to 10,551 NIS||Full benefit|
|Individual||Between 10,551 NIS and 15,826.5 NIS||Reduced benefit (50%)|
|Individual||Above 15,826.5 NIS||Ineligible|
|Couple||Up to 15,826.5 NIS||Full benefit|
|Couple||Between 15,826.5 and 23,739.75 NIS||Reduced benefit (50%)|
|Couple||Above 23,739.75 NIS||Ineligible|
- Same-sex couples are considered to be a "couple" for purposes of calculating income (someone living as part of either a heterosexual or homosexual couple will not be considered an "individual" for purposes of calculating income).
- When both members of the couple are considered nursing patients, the income is calculated individually for each person.
- A 78 year old widower receives a 12,000 NIS monthly pension, as well as a 1,558 NIS monthly Old Age Pension. His total income is 13,558 NIS.
- He submitted a Long-Term Care Benefit claim and it was determined that he is entitled to a Level 2 Long-Term Care Benefit (10 hours/service units).
- Due to the fact that his total monthly income is greater than 10,551 NIS, he will receive a reduced benefit of 50% (5 weekly hours).
- In cases where the benefit eligibility has been established to be permanent, the National Insurance Institute has the right to reassess the recipient's ability to function.
- A Long-Term Care Benefit claim may be submitted while the patient is in the hospital or an upcoming surgery or hospitalization,
- Appeals committees must be established for denied Long-Term Care Benefit claims
- Living in a nursing home is not grounds for losing Long-Term Care Benefit eligibility
- National Insurance Institute's Senior Citizen Guidance Service
- Segula Unit - Center to Help Hospitalized Senior Citizens
- Free Aid by the National Insurance Institute for Hospitalized Patients Filing Disability Claims
- Click here for a comprehensive listing of health-related assistance organizations
- Click here for a comprehensive listing of organizations that help senior citizens and the elderly
- Click here for a comprehensive listing of organizations that help people with disabilities
|Government Agency||Website||Rights and Areas of Responsibility|
|The National Insurance Institutehotlines -||Senior Citizens' Rights on the National Insurance Institute's website.||Rights to various allowances given based on age and economic situation.|
|The National Insurance Institute's Call Center for Senior Citizen Counseling Serviceshotline -||Senior Citizens' Rights on the National Insurance Institute's website.||Free aid provided through counseling services for senior citizens and the call center for senior citizens and their families.|
|*8840 Ministry for Social Equality - Hotline for Public Inquiries||Ministry for Social Equality website||The hotline run by the Ministry for Social Equality gives the elderly a central address to direct all of their questions, provide information regarding rights, services and benefits entitled to the elderly. It also helps them actualize these rights.|
|Segula Unit - Hotline to help senior citizens in the hospital||The Ministry for Social Equality||A health hotline for senior citizens, to assist them and their families know their rights during the period of hospitalization.|
|The Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services
||Senior Citizens on the Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services website||Funding of Nursing Homes for independent and frail seniors. Various services are also provided within the community.|
|The Ministry of Health||Senior Health on the Ministry of Health website.||Health Insurance and assistance for those suffering from age related health problems.|
|*5442 The Ministry of Housing and Construction Call Center||The Ministry of Construction and Housing website||Housing Assistance and Problem Solving for Senior Citizens|
Laws and Regulations
- The National Insurance Law - Section J: Long-Term Care Insurance
- National Insurance Regulations (Long-Term Care Insurance) (Income Test to Establish Eligibility and Amount of Long-Term Care Benefit - 1988]
- Circular no. 1496 from 06.11.2018 - Long-Term Care Reform
- National Insurance Institute Circular no. 16/2016 - double benefit with the Ministry of Defense.
- The National Insurance Institute: A video clip explaining how to fill out a Long-Term Care Benefit claim
- Long Term Care Information on the Reuth website.
- English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.