There is an array of different services, at subsidized cost, offered to individuals with complex visual impairment.
- The rehabilitation services are provided by optometrists specializing in low vision, device instructors and social workers.
- The services include visual functioning diagnoses, device fittings, lending of devices and practice using them.
- The service is provided by low vision rehabilitation institutes across the country, under the auspices of Services for the Blind.
Target Population and Audience
- The service is provided to the following populations:
- One who holds a Certificate of Blindness/Visual Impairment.
- One who doesn't have a Certificate of Blindness, but who has a visual capacity between 3/60 - 6/24, or a field of vision above 20 degrees after optimal correction.
- The visually impaired who suffer from impaired functioning due to vision that cannot be improved through conventional medicine.
How to receive the service?
- Those who are interested may contact the low vision rehabilitation centers directly or via referal.
Listing of Low Vision Rehabilitation Centers
- Tel: 03-6880523, 03-6880560, Fax: 03-6875696,
- Haifa: Midgal Or Avraham Danino St. 4, Kiryat Chaim
- Tel: 077-7721333, Fax: 077-7721321,
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jerusalem: Michelson Institute for Visual Rehabilitation Hadassa Ein Kerem Medical Center (next to the eye clinic)
- Tel: 02-6232895, Fax: 02-6257552,
- Email: email@example.com
Cost of the Service
- The service is funded by the Ministry of Social Affairs and requires a co-payment.
- The co-payment rates can be found in Provision 6.13 of the Social Work Regulations: Rate of Service to Blind (section 8 - low vision rehabilitative services]
Laws and Regulations
- Original information based on the "Tzida Laderekh" informational leaflet for high school graduates, and the Guide to Rights and Services for the Blind in Israel from the Blind Services Department (Rehabilitation Branch, Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services), and was uploaded to the site with the assistance of Blind Services Department grant recipients.
- Original translation performed by The Shira Pransky Project as part of a grant from The Fellowship Fund.