The Ministry of Health funds medical aides for children with special health needs who are enrolled in the regular education system
A family member may not be hired as a medical aide for the child.
A new request for an aide must be submitted every year with updated documentation attached

Children studying in the regular education system are entitled to the support of a medical aide in the following cases:

  1. If routine invasive treatment is required
  2. If supervision is required to prevent life-threatening situations
  3. If the child has an exceptional health condition
  • The Ministry of Health funds employment of the medical aide, but he/she is technically employed by the local authority.
  • The assistance is provided during official school days and during vacations in which the local authority operates. If the educational institution has a long school day according to law, or if the school day is extended according to a government decision, assistance can be extended.
  • A medical aide who is a relative of the family cannot be employed to work with the child.
  • Children who return to school and kindergartens after a long absence for medical reasons may be eligible for enrichment classes, tutoring and educational support from the Ministry of Education's "sick hours" basket. For more information, see Aid for Children Returning to the Educational System After a Prolonged Illness.

Who is Eligible?

  • Children from the age of mandatory schooling (age 3) who are enrolled in city kindergartens until the age of treatment independence who requirie medical treatment or supervision during the school day due to one of the following:

Routine Invasive Treatment

  • Schoolchildren requiring one of the following in accordance with doctor's approval:
    • Provision of oxygen
    • Suctioning secretions through a tracheotomy
    • Bladder catheterization
    • Feeding through a feeding tube/gastrostomy
    • Performance of glucose level testing and insulin injections using a needle (for Juvenile Diabetes)

Supervision to Prevent Life-Threatening Situations

  • Schoolchildren requiring supervision due to an especially severe illness in accordance with a diagnosis from a physician specializing solely in the relevant field (i.e. pediatric allergist, pediatric neurologist, etc.), as well as a psycho-social report, in the following cases:
    • Life-threatening allergy to foods that the child is likely to come into contact with in an educational institution - milk, peanuts, walnuts, almonds, sesame, eggs, fish as well as allergic asthma.
    • "Unbalanced" epilepsy - More than two myoclonic epileptic seizures in a month or generalized epilepsy with severe seizures (grand mal) that lead to falling down
    • Severe, life-threatening coagulation disorder with an uncontrolled bleeding tendency (hemophilia, severe hematologic cases).
    • Life-threatening internal physical injury such as a immediate after a pacemaker implantation of transplantation of organs.

Exceptional Health Conditions

  • Schoolchildren whose health condition has been deemed to be dangerous or life-threatening according to a professional medical opinion and a professional psycho-social opinion.

Who is not Eligible?

  • The following populations are not eligible for this right:
    • Children learning in special education or integrated frameworks within either integrated or regular classrooms in the the regular education system.
    • Children suffering from medical conditions/illnesses (other than those described above) or requiring preventative supervision. For example: Food hypersensitivity, psoriasis, cystic fibrosis (CF), inflammatory bowel disease, AIDS (HIV), as well as children who have undergone surgery, a transplant, or chemotherapy treatments. The Ministry of Health has published circulars regarding how the staff is to act in such cases, and every school must have a teacher capable of providing first aid.
    • Children requiring assistance for activities of daily living (ADL), such as: dressing, eating, mobility, and continence (including changing of diapers and stoma bags).
    • Children receiving funding for a medical aide from another source (such as the Ministry of Health or an insurance company).

Eligibility for an Aide during Summer Vacation

  • In accordance with the regulations of the Ministry of Education, which has transferred to local authorities, students who are eligible throughout the school year for a medical aide, will receive this assistance throughout the summer vacation.
    • Schoolchildren who are eligible, will receive this assistance in the day camps which are run through the school system and the local authorities throughout the course of July.
    • Students in 1st and 2nd grades will receive this assistance through the Schools for Summer Vacation Program.

How to Claim It?

  • The education department in the local authority where the child's school is located must be contacted with the following documentation:
    • Up-to-date professional medical opinion with guidelines for treatment/care during school hours.
    • Psychosocial report from a social worker at the treating clinic or an educational social worker/psychologist/counselor who knows the student and the student's family.
  • It should be noted whether there is another source of funding for employing a medical aide (such as the Ministry of Education or the Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services).
  • The local authority will send the request to the Ministry of Health, and subsequently a meeting will be held with the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Health, and the Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services, in which it will be determined how many hours of assistance the child is eligible for.
  • The Ministry of Health will be responsible for the transfer of the funding to the local authority's treasury.
  • The local authority is responsible hiring the aid.
  • A new request must be submitted every year with updated documentation attached.

Medical Aide Training

  • Training for the medical aide will be conducted through a licensed medical institution, recognized by the Ministry of Health, in which the student receives medical care. This is done in coordination with the Director of Nursing at the medical institution.
  • Training for the medical aide will be provided by a registered nurse who will evaluate the aide's ability at the end of the training.
  • The supervising nurse and the medical aide will sign that the training was completed (see the appendix to the protocol). The confirmation will be signed on four copies: one for the medical aide, one for the parents,one for the local authority/education department, and one for the child's medical file.
  • The local authority must ensure that the medical aide has completed the necessary training. A medical aide must not be employed without such approval.

Application for the 2016/17 academic year

  • The dates for submission of applications for the academic year 2016/17 are:
    • 03.04.2016 - 31.05.2016
    • 03.07.2016 - 15.07.2016
    • 01.09.2016 - 15.09.2016
    • 01.01.2017 - 15.01.2017
  • Applications can not be submitted at any other time, except for children who are sick with Juvenile Diabetes.


  • In the event that the request for a medical assistant is rejected, contact the local authority and request an appeal.
  • The appeal should be supported by medical opinion and/or new and up-to-date reports of a specialist doctor.
  • Applications that have been reexamined and rejected by the Inter-ministerial Committee for Medical Assistants in Regular Education may be submitted for appeal to the Ministry of Health. The following documents should be attached:
    1. Up to date and relevant medical documents.
    2. Evaluation report of the educational institution in response to the student's needs.
    3. In some cases, a psycho-social document will also be required.
  • Upon receiving all the required documents, the appeal will be heard and the answer will be sent to the local authority within one month.

Please Note

  • The assistance is based on the needs of the students during school hours and is not dependent on National Insurance Institute's recognition of a disabled child benefit paid to the parents.
  • The local authority must prepare for cases in which the assistant will be absent for an extended period (maternity leave, long-term illness, reserve duty, etc.), and to provide for a substitute.
  • There is no eligibility for an assistant in a short term situation. If the doctor says that the child can be in gan or school, the school must accept him/her and the regular staff must help him/her with whatever he/she needs.

Aid Organizations

  • For a listing of aid organizations offering assistance and support for children with special needs, click here.

Government Agencies

Laws and Regulations

Additional Publications