Insured individuals who have reached age 72 are entitled to a 10% discount when purchasing Medications in the Healthcare Basket.
- Additionally there be may medication purchase exemptions or discounts for senior citizens that also fit into other populations that are detailed below.
Who is Eligible?
- All senior citizens age 72 and above receive a 10% discount.
- Additional benefits are given to senior citizens that are part of specific populations:
- Holocaust survivors and those disabled by the war against the Nazis who receive a grant or pension because of their persecution are exempt from paying for medications.
- World War II veterans that receive Income Support are entitled to a discount of 75% when purchasing medication.
- The following populations are entitled to a discount of 50%:
- Insured people, who have reached mandatory retirement age, are entitled to a 50% reduction on the payment ceiling for various kupat cholim medical services.
- Click here for a full list of government agencies responsible for issues related to old age and aging
- Main government agencies:
|Government Agency||Website||Rights and Areas of Responsibility|
|*8840 Ministry for Social Equality - Hotline for Public Inquiries||Ministry for Social Equality website||The hotline run by the Ministry for Social Equality gives the elderly a central address to direct all of their questions, provide information regarding rights, services and benefits entitled to the elderly. It also helps them actualize these rights.|
|The National Insurance Institutehotlines -||Senior Citizens' Rights on the National Insurance Institute's website.||Rights to various allowances given based on age and economic situation.|
|The National Insurance Institute's Call Center for Senior Citizen Counseling Serviceshotline -||Senior Citizens' Rights on the National Insurance Institute's website.||Free aid provided through counseling services for senior citizens and the call center|
|The Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services
||Senior Citizens on the Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services website||Funding of Nursing Homes for independent and frail seniors. Various services are also provided within the community.|
|The Ministry of Health||Senior Health on the Ministry of Health website.||Health Insurance and assistance for those suffering from age related health problems.|
|*5442 The Ministry of Housing and Construction Call Center||The Ministry of Construction and Housing website||Housing Assistance and Problem Solving for Senior Citizens|
|Equal Employment Opportunities Commission- 02-6662701||Equal Employment Opportunities Commission website]||The commission responsible for enforcing equality in the workplace and for handling cases of prohibited discrimination.|
|The Population and Immigration Authority - *3450||Population and Immigration Authority website||Treatment of foreign workers, responsible for giving permits for the employment of foreign workers, managing the financial deposits that employers of foreign workers are required to deposit, oversight of the entrance and exit of foreign workers into Israel, issuing a death certificate, and updating the Population authority.|
Laws and Regulations
- Ministry of Health Assistant Director for Oversight of Kupat Cholim and Additional Medical Services circular no.05/2017 from 18.10.2017 - services and medication payment update for 2017
English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.