Children and young adults up to age 21 with physical disabilities, sensory impairment (hearing/vision impairment) or developmental disorders who required enrichment or strengthening in personal, social or education hours are entitled to the assistance of a mentor.
- The mentor is meant to help the child by nurturing and strengthening the child's self-image, independent thinking and activity, social skills and daily functions, and also to serve as a role model and someone to relate to.
- Eligibility for a mentor is for a period of up to 6 months.
- The period can be extended for up to a total of 12 months with the approval of the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs district director.
- The maximum number of mentoring hours per month is 24.
Who is Eligible?
- Children and young adults age 3-21, living in the community and part of one of the following groups:
- For information on similar rights, see:
How to Claim It?
- Contact the social worker at the local Social Services Department office.
- The family has to pay a deductible based on percentages for the rate established for the mentors, that are determined by the families average, per-person income.
|Average monthly income per-family member (total income of the parents divided by the number of people in the family||Percent that a family with one child eligible for a mentor is required to contribute||Percent that a family with more than one child eligible for a mentor is required to contribute|
|up to 1,090 NIS||no deductible||no deductible|
|over 1,090 NIS and up to 2,180 NIS||5%||5%|
|over 2,180 NIS and up to 4,360 NIS||15%||10%|
|over 4,360 NIS and up to 5,450 NIS||25%||15%|
|over 5,450 NIS and up to 6,540 NIS||50%||25%|
|over 6,540 NIS and up to 8,720 NIS||75%||50%|
|over 8,720 NIS||100% (full payment)||100% (full payment)|
- The Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services - Department of Social Services and Rehabilitation
Laws and Regulations
- Social Work Regulations notice 5.16 - Rehabilitation services for children and young adults living in the community age 0-21.
- Appendix b to notice 5.16 - rates for mentors for children and young adults with disabilities
English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.