The mobility benefit provides various benefits to children and adults whose who have impairments in their legs which limit their mobility, in order to help them integrate into the community and develop independent lives. Each benefit has its own eligibility requirements. The benefits are paid for from State Treasury funds in accordance with the Mobility Agreement signed between the Ministry of Finance and the National Insurance Institute, with the exception of Driving Lessons for Mobility Benefit Recipients. This portal details eligibility for a mobility benefit, how to submit a claim and the rights and benefit that come with the claim.
Procedures and Definitions
- Medical Committee for Determining Limited Mobility
- Submitting a Mobility Benefit Claim
- Limitation on fees for aid and representation in Mobility Benefit Claims
- Appealing a National Insurance Institute Decision
- Designating a "Special Vehicle" for Limited Mobility by the Medical Institute for Road Safety
- Mobility Agreement
- Authorized Driver for Mobility Benefit Recipients
Benefits Given as Part of the Mobility Benefit
- Monthly Mobility Allowance for Vehicle Owners
- Monthly Mobility Allowance for Non-Vehicle Owners
- Mobility Benefit Loan to Purchase a Private Vehicle
- Loan for Purchasing a Handicap Accessible (Special Accessories) Vehicle
- Mobility Benefit Standing Loan for New Vehicle Taxes
- Loan for Purchasing Mobility Accessories in a Handicap-Accessible Vehicle
- Reimbursement for Mobility Accessories in a Private Vehicle
- Loan to Install a Wheelchair Lift in a Handicap-Accessible Vehicle
- Driving Lessons for Mobility Benefit Recipients
- Towing Services for Mobility Benefit Recipients
Other Benefits for Mobility Benefit Recipients
- Disabled Parking Permit and Exemption from License Fee
- Marking a Disabled Parking Area Near the Home of a Person with Disabilities
- Health Plan Fee Exemptions for Child Mobility Benefit Recipients
- Water Bill Benefit for Mobility Benefit Recipients (High Rate Discount)
- Certificate of Disability
- Grant for Housing Accommodations, Vehicle Purchase and Assistive Devices for a Work Injury Victim with a High Level of Disability
- Housing Guide for People with Mobility Limitations
- Rights Guide for Individuals Caring for an Elderly Family Member or Person With Disabilities
- Calculator to check eligibility for mobility benefits on the National Insurance Institute website.
- Calculator to check eligibility for more than one benefit on the National Insurance Institute website.
- For a comprehensive categorized listing of healthcare organizations offering assistance and support for people with disabilities, see People with Disabilities/Aid Organizations.
- The National Insurance Institute
- The Ministry of Health:
- An authorized driver for someone with disabilities does not make that driver ineligible to receive income support
Laws & Regulations
- The National Insurance Law Section 9
- Text of the Mobility Agreement signed on June 1, 1977 from the National Insurance Institute website.
- Original translation performed by The Shira Pransky Project as part of a grant from The Fellowship Fund.