Individuals with limited mobility who have severe disabilities and low working income may be entitled to receive a loan from the Loan Fund for the Purchase of a New Vehicle.
- Such a loan is given in addition to a standing loan for new vehicle taxes.
- Recipients may receive the loan one time only and in one of the following cases:
- First-time vehicle buyers - Part of the loan will be returned by means of monthly payments and part will become a grant after five years.
- Five years have passed since receiving a standing loan for new vehicle taxes for purchase of the previous vehicle. Entitlement of this type is for a loan equal to 20% of the value of the vehicle and it must be completely repaid by means of monthly payments. There is no entitlement for this type of loan to become a grant.
- The Medical Institute has determined that the driver has new driving limitations which do not enable him/her to use the current vehicle in his/her possession - The loan will be approved even if five years have not passed since receiving a standing loan for new vehicle taxes
- A standing loan for an individual with limited mobility was previously given when the recipient did not have a driver's license, and after receiving a driver's license, the recipient required a larger vehicle than that which was in his/her possession.
Who is Eligible?
- All of the following conditions of eligibility must be met:
- The applicant is between 18 and 60 years old.
- The medical committee established limited mobility of at least 90%.
- The applicant has a valid driver's license.
- During at least 12 of the 18 months (they do not have to be consecutive) which preceded submission of the request, the applicant's income from work was greater than 25% of the average wage 2,477 NIS for 2018, or the applicant is a student in an institution recognized by the Ministry of Economy or is employed in a sheltered factory.
- The total income of the applicant and his/her spouse (including income from work or any other source) is no more than 150% of the average wage 14,859 NIS for 2018. Special Services Benefits (Attendance Allowances), Child Allowances and payments for vehicle maintenance or expenses due to disability are not included in this calculation.
How to Claim It?
- A Mobility Benefit claim must be submitted to the National Insurance Institute. For more information, see: Submitting a Mobility Benefit Claim.
- The National Insurance Institute holds a lien on any vehicle purchased with a loan from the Loan Fund for the Purchase of a New Vehicle.
- The National Insurance Institute places the lien on the vehicle and pays the relevant lien fees.
- According to the National Insurance Institute Circular dated 03.07.2016, one whose eligibility is established for a Loan for Purchasing a Handicap Accessible (Special Accessories) Vehicle is not required to guarantee the vehicle.
Laws and Regulations
- English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.