Foreign workers are insured through the national insurance policy for cases such as workplace injury, maternity allowance, child allowance or bankruptcy of their employer
In addition to the national insurance the employer must also make sure the foreign worker has private health insurance
For information regarding national insurance for foreign workers see the National Insurance Institute website
The National Insurance Institute grants insurance to foreign workers for:
- Work accident victims allowance
- Allowances connected to motherhood such as: birth allowance maternity grant, child allowance
- Liquidation or bankruptcy of the employer
- Maternity Allowance (Maternity Pay)
Who is Eligible
How to Claim It?
- The employer must ensure that that regular national insurance payments of made for the foreign workers. For additional information see National Insurance Payments for Foreign Workers
- In certain cases, long term care benefit recipients may be exempt from national insurance payments for their workers.
- The National Insurance Institute does not provide foreign workers with health insurance. Employer's of foreign workers are obligated to provide Health Insurance for Foreign Workers.
- In the case of employment of a foreign nursing care worker that lives in the patient's house, and the patient is entitled to a Long-Term Care Benefit and chooses to jointly employ a foreign worker with a nursing agency, both employers (the patient and agency) are responsible for payments to the worker (in amounts relative to the scope of time each employs the worker for). For additional information see Joint Employment of a Foreign Nursing Care Worker by a Patient and Nursing Agency.
- Kav Lamassik Information and Legal Advice for Foreign Workers
- Welfare Department - Jerusalem Municipality
- Worker's Hotline
- Hotline for Refugees and Migrants
- Physicians for Human Rights - Israel
Assistance in Employing Nursing Care Workers
- Internet hot line for those who employ foreign nursing care workers
- Elder care law services
- Yad Riva - Legal aid for senior citizens
- Reut and Eshel - Guidance services for senior citizens and their families who care for them.
- Kav Lamassik Information and Legal Advice for Foreign Workers.
- Ba-Bayit- Welfare and Aid for the Golden Age
- For a complete lists of organizations offering assistance and support to senior citizens
- For a comprehensive categorized listing of healthcare organizations offering assistance and support to people with disabilities click here.
- The Population and Immigration Authority
- The Foreign Workers' Employment Rights Ombudsman
- The National Insurance Institute
- The Interior Ministry
Laws and Regulations
- The Foreign Workers Law - 1991
- The Foreign Workers Regulations (Prohibition Against Illegal Employment and Guarantee of Fair Conditions (Appropriate Housing)) - 2000
- The Foreign Workers Regulations (Salary Deduction Amounts for Appropriate Housing) - 2000
- The Rights of Foreign Workers on the Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services website
- Foreign Workers - Information for Employers and Workers on the Population and Immigration Authority website
- Information Regarding the Employment of Foreign Workers and Illegal Infiltrators on the Population and Immigration Authority website
- Information on the Illegal Employment of Foreign Workers and Asylum Seekers - on the Population and Immigration Authority website.
- The Rights of Migrant Workers in the Agriculture Field, 2019 Worker's Hotline.
- The Rights of Migrant Workers in the Nursing Field, 2019 Worker's Hotline.
- The original information on the page were written as part of a rights accessibility project performed by the Elderly Services Department, part of the Jerusalem Municipality Social Services Department, as the result of a generous contribution from MASHOV - Citizens Involvement and Partnership for Community Advocacy.
- English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.