According to the Ministry of Health guidelines, instructing people who have returned from abroad or who have been exposed to a confirmed coronavirus patient must quarantine for 14 days.
- A person with a fever above 38° Celsius is required to quarantine, even if he has not returned from abroad or been exposed to a confirmed corona patient. He must take his temperature twice a day and record it. He may come out of quarantine after his temperature is no more than 37.5° for two consecutive days.
- A person may not enter the public space at all and may not visit any public places including: educational institutions, work places, public transportation, entertainment and shopping centers, hospitals and health clinics.
- A person who develops symptoms of the coronavirus such as: fever above 38 Celsius, cough, difficulty breathing or other respiratory symptoms may only go to a health clinic or hospital after contacting the medical institution ahead of time to coordinate the arrival. The sick person must cover his nose and mouth with a mask or other fabric and avoid touching anyone around him. He should also avoid taking public transportation.
Target Population and Preconditions
- Anyone that has returned from abroad.
- Anyone who was exposed to a confirmed coronavirus patient, in the following situations:
- One who was in a patient's presence for at least 15 minutes and was withing less than 2 meters. If the identity of the patient is unknown and there is concern that you shared the space with them for at least 15 minutes then quarantine is required.
- Working close to a patient or being in the same classroom as a patient.
- Travel with a patient on any form of transportation.
- Living with the patient.
- Physical contact with a patient (for example a handshake).
- A person with a temperature above 38°.
- For additional information regarding who is required to quarantine, see the Ministry of Health website.
Who and how to contact
- A person in quarantine because he returned from abroad or was exposed to a confirmed corona patient, must immediately report where he lives or where he will be in quarantine to the Ministry of Health. This can be reported in one of two ways:
- By calling .
- By filling out an online form for those who returned abroad or an online form for those exposed to someone who returned on the Ministry of Health website.
Stages of the Process
- It is important to follow the Ministry of Health guidelines carefully during the quarantine period. You can read the Ministry of Health guidelines here or in English on the designated Ministry of Health website.
- The guidelines may change as the situation develops so it is important to check the designated Ministry of Health website from time to time.
- A person who is in quarantine because he returned from abroad or was exposed to a confirmed corona patient must immediately report the quarantine to the Ministry of Health along with his place of living and quarantine location. A person who violates his obligation to quarantine is in violation of a criminal offense, punishable by up to 6 months in prison or a fine. For additional information see violating a quarantine order on the Ministry of Health website.
- A person that received a fine for violating his quarantine obligation may submit a Request to Cancel the Fine or Request for Trial.
- You can report a person who is violating his quarantine obligation online on the Ministry of Health's website
- An employee's absence from work is at the expense of his accrued sick days. Instead of contacting your family doctor for a sick note, the employee should obtain a certificate of widespread illness from the Ministry of Health. For additional information see Sick Days for Employees in Quarantine due to Coronavirus.
- It is forbidden for an employer to fire an employee because he is in quarantine. Additionally it is forbidden for an employer to require an employee who is quarantine to come work and it is also forbidden to allow him to come to the work place even if he is interested in going. For additional information see It is Prohibited to Fire an Employee who is absent from Work because of Quarantine for Suspected Coronavirus.
- An employee who catches coronavirus during or as a result of his work is entitled to an injury allowance from the National Insurance Institute to cover the income he looses during his subsequent absence from work.
- The days he misses will not be deducted from his accrued sick days.
- For additional information see Recognizing Employees who got Coronavirus through their Workplace and Workplace Accident Victims.
|Government Agencies||Call Center||Expedited Services|
|The Ministry of Health||Kol HaBriut hotline [tel:*5400 *5400 ]|
|Municipal Hotline (in most cases)||106|
|Home Front Command||Call Center for Civil (non-medical) Emergencies 104|
|Employment Services||||Initial online report to the employment office|
|The National Insurance Institute||*[tel:*6050 *6050 ]||Unemployment pay claim online claim form|
|The Agency for Small and Mid-size Businesses||Maof businesses hotline [tel:*8794 *8794 ]|
|SHAYAL (Guidance for Citizens)||118 (Unemployment, unpaid leave, consumerism etc.)||Contact through Facebook|
|The Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs and Social Services||Social Services hotline 118|
|The Israel Tax Authority||
|The Population and Immigration Authority||National Information and Service hotline [tel:*3450 *3450 ]||Online contact form on corona related topics for foreign workers/Palestinians|
|The Ministry of Education||*Hotline for Parents and Students|
|The Office for Social Equality||Senior Citizens center hotline [tel:*8840 *8840 ]||Online contact for for the senior citizens center|
|The Authority for the Rights of Holocaust Survivors||Holocaust Survivors Services Center hotline [tel:*5105 *5105 ]|
Aid Organizations - Designated Centers
Information, Guidance and Support
Assistance for those in home quarantine
|Organization||Center details and website link||Hotline number|
|Appleseeds Academy in conjunction with the Ministry of Social Equality and other organizations||Assistance for people people who need help with technology (Using Zoom, filling out online forms, etc)|| -2750238 for Hebrew (call the number or text the word "help")
-2750239 for Arabic (call the number or text the word "help")
|United Hatzalah, Israel Association of Community Centers, and Lev Echad||Emergency Hotline for Humanitarian Assistance During the Corona Crisis||1221 (no star)|
|Yad Sarah||Delivery of medical equipment to the house|||
|Lev Echad||Assistance with shopping, gathering medications etc.|||
|Friends for Health||Medications for Home-bound Individuals|||
|Dor L'dor||Personal assistance for senior citizens who are worried about leaving the house|||
- Additional Help Centers for Senior Citizens
- Additional Help Centers for People with Disabilities
- Social Services to Assist with the Coronavirus Crisis on the Guidestar website
Laws and Regulations
- National Health Order (The Novel Coronavirus 2019) (Home Quarantine) (Temporary Provision) 2020
- State of Emergency Regulations (Enforcing the National Health Order (The Novel Coronavirus) (Home Quarantine and Various Instructions) (Temporary Provisions)) 2020
- The National Health Ordinances - section 71.
- Penal Law - sections 218, 287.
- Designated Coronavirus Information Page on the Ministry of Health's English website.
- The Novel Coronavirus on the Ministry of Health's English website.
- Ministry of Health guidelines for those returning from China on the Ministry of Health's website.
- Guidelines for Home Quarantine - Coronavirus on the Ministry of Health's website.
English translation and maintenance by The Shira Pransky Project.